VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta 5spd
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you use this strut with the spring off center?

This is all new parts, and it's frustrating the hell out of me. It refuses to stay aligned, even after I clamp it in place. The bottom end is in its slot. What am I doing wrong? Please help, anyone with any ideas.

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta (BRM), 5 speed
27 Posts
It's really difficult to ascertain what it is that is frustrating? Maybe it's just the view...I can't necessarily see the point of frustration. Could you elaborate or provide more photos?

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta 5spd
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top end of the spring will not stay aligned in the center when I take off the compressor tools. It causes the whole spring to shift to one side. The original struts were not like this. These parts should be the same as the original.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I think I see what your getting at. I've had a friend installing a set of coilovers with a similar issue (albeit on a Tacoma). He searched the internet over and spoke with a few mechanics - consensus seemed to move ahead and see if there was issues after the fact. Not really ideal and without you going out and buying another set to see if it's repeated, there's not a clear solution forward.

I can't be sure this is at all the issue and sometimes, in some applications, springs are specific to one side of vehicle or the other (i.e., driver's vs passenger). And that could be confirmed only by the part manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
PS, have you tried flipping the springs upside down and seating the opposite side?

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta 5spd
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried flipping them over, and it doesn't work at all. The spring is extremely crooked. There isn't any indication that the springs are for only one side. In fact, all the parts should be the same for both sides. I have gotten another set of the same springs, thinking the first set was from a bad batch.

I guess I will put them on like this and hope it doesn't break something and kill me or ruin the tires like the old struts. I specifically sought out OEM parts to avoid nightmares like this.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I'll be doing this job eventually. Was going to buy Bilstein components since I've used them in other applications and preferred them. Hope it works out for you!

·
Premium Member
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
16 Posts
I haven't had any experience with VW struts but the ones I've worked on never has the spring touching a metal plate. To me it looks like you need some kind of rubber damper between the spring and metal plate. But like I said, I've never worked with a VW strut.

I notice the last response is 6 days old. Have you tried it? Is everything hunky-dory?

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta 5spd
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I notice the last response is 6 days old. Have you tried it? Is everything hunky-dory?
I have tried it. Everything seems okay, but sometimes I hear the springs shifting. There isn't any damper for it, but it might be helpful. Other people have mentioned that as well. The original struts also had the spring against the metal, and they fit normally. I'm going to leave it.

I took it to several mechanics. Some said they wouldn't use it, others said it would be fine. No one could get the springs to stay in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts