VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Your car already has a cold air intake. It takes in air from the fender and goes into the box. There may not be much improvement by removing the airbox because it would take in warm engine air.

I've seen CAI kits on ebay for tdi's but they cost about 250. for that price, I would just leave your car alone.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
All cars could get more power by adding a cold air intake. The colder the air, the denser it is , and the more power it can make.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
These cars already have a "cold air intake"

Look under your hood, all mk3-mk4-mk5 vw diesels have intake boxes that draw air from behind the headlight or fender area. Removing the intake air box will do little to improve your power, in terms of bang for the buck, it is very little as well. There's so much like, chips, or tires, that would improve the sportiness of your car over an aftermarket cold air intake.

J

·
0 Posts
2nd that, there's a writeup somewhere on this site which has pictures of airboxes. You'll see that there's something called a snowscreen which can get clogged and let in warm engine bay air in case the cold air intake tube gets blocked. check the FAQ section called 1000q.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very big improvement with cold air intake

I knocked out the standard air box and bought a cold air intake online. It was an easy change over for the most part. Next up grade is the injectors

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I knocked out the standard air box and bought a cold air intake online. It was an easy change over for the most part. Next up grade is the injectors
Stupidest idea yet, because the moment you run boost, and compress air, you run into Boyle's law, whereas when pressure goes up, so does temperature. This is the whole reason why most cars with turbo's have huge intercoolers installed. If you want a cool charge at the valve intakes at the head (where it really matters) get a larger front mounted intercooler instead of a cold air intake, because the turbo charger is just going to heat it up anyways.

Kid's are all about stupid pipes, fart cans, noisy pop off valves, tubing, and hanging junk from their motors that looks cool, but does nothing. Complete waste of money, a cold air intake, on a TDI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There have been many threadds dedicated to this topic on mulitple forums, all have shown with dyno proof that the stock airbox on the TDI can not be improved upon. People have even gone as far as just putting a filter right on the turbo itself, no gain. The turbo draws such a huge amount of air and heats it up so much that the better upgrade would be a more effcient intercooler and even that is a rough call unless youre upgrading your turbo as well.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
This little engine is only going to move so much air. Start with a (chip) then injectors.
Get out your wallet !! Upgrade turbo, stage 2 injectors and clutch, more $$. Dont forget the exhaust side. I call a cold air intake a dirt air intake, these filters offer very little protection in comparison to a quality filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts