VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I want to say that I understand that the solution to this question will require modification to the vehicle.

Background: Older cars (pre-90s) had a position on the wiper switch for spraying fluid on the windshield only and other positions to activate the wipers at varying frequencies/speeds. Newer cars (including my '96 Toyota Camry and '10 Golf) have a position of the wiper switch which sprays the windows and activates the wipers simultaneously with a minimum of two wipe cycles or more depending on how long you spray, as well as the others for just wiping at various freqs/speeds.

Caveat: On my Golf, I can't treat the windshield with De-Icing fluid that I have in the reservoir without the iced up wipers struggling to free themselves, and subsequently scraping themselves detrimentally across the ice-laden window. What I want to be able to do is squirt the window so that while I'm working on scraping the ice, the spray I've treated the window with is soaking in and beginning to melt the ice from above, while the defrost is (hopefully) working on the window from inside so that its easier for me to break up the ice. I can't do this on the Golf. At least with the Camry, if I do quick pulses on the spray, there's enough of a delay that I won't activate the wipers. I've tried getting past it, but I am very annoyed and disturbed (I know I'm OCD) that it has to wipe every time I spray.

I haven't seen anything in VCDS that leads me to believe that there's an established coding that will accomplish this. Of course the service manual doesn't exist yet so I can't look at wiring there yet. Anyone have any knowledge of how the wiring is set up? Maybe I could install a bypass switch to just activate the washer? Maybe there's a terminal on the stalk switch I could disconnect to prevent a wipe signal to be transmitted along with the wash signal? Thoughts? Thanks in advance. :bowdown

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I quite like the idea of getting my washers to spray a reasonable amount first before the wipers kick in and also reduce the amount of wipes they do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Older than mid-90's? I haven't had a car or truck that would do this since the late-70's. I can see how it might be useful in your climate, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find there is no ready solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some manufacturers have circuitry which keeps the wipers from cycling until the control is released from the spray position. That can be accomplished with an additional relay in the circuit. Not sure how you'd achieve 'spray only' without an additional control circuit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...anyone in this vast knowledge pool have any suggestions (other than keeping a small spray bottle filled with the deicing liquid next to your ice-scraper...very funny "Lost") to my problem?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that—due to the complete microprocessor control of all this stuff—that a separate circuit will need to be wired. I'm thinking that you could add a small momentary switch in the console (similar to what I did for my garage opener) wired directly to the washer pump. You may need to add a diode to the factory wire to prevent current from going back into the CECM.

Or perhaps the CECM doesn't power the pump directly, but feeds through a relay. If so, you might be able to trigger that relay directly.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply, yes that's what I was hoping for, a relay that I could tap into, or even add a separate relay. Once the weather warms up a little and I have some time, I'm gonna do some poking around under there and try different things. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got to thinking a bit, and I wonder if the simplest solution might not be to add a separate generic washer pump instead of mucking with the factory wiring. You could probably wire and tee that pump into the fluid lines easier than hunting circuits and relays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts