VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With electric partial or full hybrids, what kind of MPG ratings should they have?

If the Chevy volt can get super mileage BUT only if you stay in full electric mode, how can they claim 160 MPG?

What about Teslas?

How about cost per mile for energy instead of MPG?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll just build a $300,000 solar car with no cost per mile! I'll make a fortune!

If you're going to get picky with cost per mile, they should have a cost per mile meter where you can input your gas price that you paid and the electricty rate so that it can update you real time according to passengers, weight, charging during the day or night.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also said cost per mile for energy instead of just cost per mile specifically because you shouldn't take into account things like tires, maintenance, keeping an apple-apple comparison between cars easy.

To keep it simple, they should rate CPM by the average gas price over the last 12 months or average electricity bill over the last 12 months.

It would be nice to have an adjustable CPM meter but people spend enough time distracted from driving their cars, tweaking the meter everytime you pass a gas station won't help, lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the Chevy volt can get super mileage BUT only if you stay in full electric mode, how can they claim 160 MPG?
Because they needed some really big good news at GM?

The Ford Fusion Hybrid has a meter that is green vines - I am not kidding, the more economically you drive the more the green vines grow. The heavier your foot the more the leaves shrink.

http://jalopnik.com/5070371/ford-smartgauge-lcd-instrument-panel-brings-futuristic-look-green-leaves-to-2010-hybrids

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
With electric partial or full hybrids, what kind of MPG ratings should they have?

What about Teslas?

How about cost per mile for energy instead of MPG?

The volt claims 260 mpg...but using the same comparison, the nissan leaf gets 367 mpg!

GM is going to fail big time if the volt comes out after the nissan leaf. Nissan is saying the car will be cheaper, 100 miles electric range vs. 40 miles on the volt, simpler because there's no hybrid system, here's a review
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/12/nissans-leaf-claims-367-m_n_257448.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f48x9baSuF0

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I forgot about the Leaf....their website says it won't be mass produced until 2012 and I'm sure the early models will be just for testing. There's also an all electric Mini Cooper but I think the lease is very expensive. They'll revolutionize the alternative car market...but I think that until there's better batteries and more range per charge, these will stay alternative cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting idea and one which I think we're headed for. The problem is the testing standard-if you want a high energy rating just lobby the test to be one which suits your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts