VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wobbly tensioner. Replaced tensioner. Still wobbly. Still have noises and squeaks.

Being the tight wad that I am, I went back to my old philosophy of change the least expensive part first. I just changed the serp belt.

Result: ALL noises gone. Most wobbling is gone.

Is it possible that I just needed a new belt?

The car is MUCH quieter!

Won battle; maybe not war.

Jeff:nana2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Philosophy of Alt pulley question

Some folks on these sights have replaced the alt pulley with a clutchless pulley so there is no clutch to break. Seems worth considering.

So if my alt pulley clutch is locked, is it not functioning as a clutchless pulley? Just wondering.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No, if the alt pulley clutch is locked, it could be very slightly crooked, enough to send a vibration through the belt system :) Sometimes they lock up, sometimes they slip and move in both directions.

You can replace the alt pulley with a non-clutch pulley. The reason they use this is because it moves the alt smoother and reduces wear...unless it fails :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, if the alt pulley clutch is locked, it could be very slightly crooked, enough to send a vibration through the belt system :) Sometimes they lock up, sometimes they slip and move in both directions.

You can replace the alt pulley with a non-clutch pulley. The reason they use this is because it moves the alt smoother and reduces wear...unless it fails :D
A guy at a seemingly reputable shop told me the tensioner is supposed to vibrate a little bit because it is self-adjusting. Is that true?

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts