VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new here so cut me some slack for not knowing anything. I recently purchased a 2001 NB TDI 5sp manual and I am wondering if there are any benefits to installing a PD lift pump in an ALH. Sometimes after my car sits for a few days it is hard to crank. It only has 49,000 miles, so I dont think there should be any issues with injectors/or the IP. I completely serviced the car when I first bought it (intake cleaned, head cleaned, intercooler cleaned, fuel filter, EGR delete, maf twist, snow screen cleaned, maf cleaned, airbox cleaned, new airfilter, diesel purge, and new battery). If the car is driven every day it starts after the second motor turn=RR=then crank. If it sits for three or four days it is RRRR=then crank. I have noticed if it is warmer outside then it cranks better. Friends have told me if I install a PD lift pump it will cure my problem, and also said acceleration is much smoother around town. My wife has a 2005 bew tdi, that we purchased new, with an automatic and the acceleration seems to be much smoother. I am just wondering if this is due to the automatic tranny. Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
On a stock car the only benefit will be that you don't have to prime the filter when changing it. I don't see how acceleration will be smoother if everything is running correctly. For power modified cars it will give a little top end boost in power.

If you are losing prime, find the leak. It's possible that the leak is at the fuel filter t, fuel hoses, injector return lines, or fuel tank level sender. These are the usual suspects.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billet Replacement T for fuel filter

Thank You. I will search for the air leak. I noticed a tdi vendor has a billet T to bypass fuel return to the fuel filter. Has anyone tried one of these? It seems alot of people have had trouble with these leaking, or breaking. I thought about getting one to see if this is where my air leak is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts