VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Golf TDI has the std. stereo. The satellite, CD, even FM sound pretty good. My 4G iPod mini, even with Apple Lossless tracks sound a bit distorted in the car, but fine elsewhere. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
69 Posts
What method are you using to interface the iPod (I'm not familiar with the std stereo in your car)?

If it's an AUX input or if you are using the headphone output of your iPod, the key to good sound is balancing the iPod volume and the stereo volume. Too much iPod volume will distort; too little will cause hiss, for example.

-dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
SendStation

My Golf TDI has the std. stereo. The satellite, CD, even FM sound pretty good. My 4G iPod mini, even with Apple Lossless tracks sound a bit distorted in the car, but fine elsewhere. Anyone else have this issue?
You might try a sendstation pocketdock. Are you connecting to the stereo with a 1/8" headphone jack to "line in" or using a dock connector? If not a dock connector, try the SendStation idea. The quality of the output out the bottom is better because it bypasses the internal amp of the ipod.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2010 Golf

My iPod also sounds awful when connected via the included dock. Have you figured this out yet? Everything else sounds great too, radio, Sirius, CD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IPOD sound distortion

I had the same problem when I set the sound level to high in the set up menu. Try lowering it to "normal" and it should play much clearer. Sound output was still plenty loud for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found my 160 g Classic was adding distortion when the EQ circuit was activated. I have all Apple Lossless tracks. I also run the ipod via the MDI and MDI input level set to low in the RCD-510. Sounds way better than Sat Radio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find that while connected through the interface takes too long to search through the file system and sometimes crashes. I will try direct aux plug next and see what happens. Otherwise the radio is pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garbled sound (no vocals) on one channel

My new JSW with RCD510 and dealer-installed iPod connector in the glovebox sounds very bad on the left channel. When playing songs on my iPod Touch Gen 2 that have vocals on both channels, the right channel sounds fine but no vocals and instrumental sounds only on the left except for some very faint and garbled vocal sounds. Oddly enough, if I play the iPod through the aux in 1/8" audio input, I get the same thing but the bad sound is on the right side.

I tried two iPods. Same deal. I also played the same songs from my iPod through the docking conector on a Cambridge Soundworks stereo (sounds fine). EQ is off on my iPod Touch Gen 2.

I have been using the medium input level but will try low as well. Using high gain on the iPod input did cause overdrive distortion. This doesn't sound like that but it may be.

Could this be an incorrectly connected or phased MDI channel?

I'd love to have some of you try this by setting the balance control all the way left and right and see what each channel sounds like alone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue

My new JSW with RCD510 and dealer-installed iPod connector in the glovebox sounds very bad on the left channel. When playing songs on my iPod Touch Gen 2 that have vocals on both channels, the right channel sounds fine but no vocals and instrumental sounds only on the left except for some very faint and garbled vocal sounds. Oddly enough, if I play the iPod through the aux in 1/8" audio input, I get the same thing but the bad sound is on the right side.

I tried two iPods. Same deal. I also played the same songs from my iPod through the docking conector on a Cambridge Soundworks stereo (sounds fine). EQ is off on my iPod Touch Gen 2.

I have been using the medium input level but will try low as well. Using high gain on the iPod input did cause overdrive distortion. This doesn't sound like that but it may be.

Could this be an incorrectly connected or phased MDI channel?

I'd love to have some of you try this by setting the balance control all the way left and right and see what each channel sounds like alone.

Thanks.
Just had the same did you get it sorted? If what was the answer?
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
FWIW, zombie thread ho!

In my new Beetle TDI I discarded my iPod in favor of a SD card. The iPod problems I had was that sometimes the front of songs would get clipped between tracks or when activating the iPod. Going to SD cleared all my issues - plus I am not to worried about locking the car, glovebox, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts