VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there a howto on IP replacement? What steps of the timing belt howto should one follow -- are all the prep steps needed -- and what about removal of the sprocket? I'm replacing an IP, but it didn't come with a sprocket so I'm just reusing the old one.

Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It is very similar to this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/injpumpswap.htm

the above link is a pump removal on a mk3 TDI. The difference is that you do not remove or touch the middle nut that holds the pump hub since there's no way to index the hub to the pump.

Just remove the timing belt and fuel hard lines. There are 3 bolts in front and 1 in the rear and the electrical plug, the pump should come right out.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Make sure you get the timing belt tools. Metalnerd sells a kit but you can also buy individual pieces from zelenda, not sur ethe exact part numbers

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
It is very similar to this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/injpumpswap.htm

the above link is a pump removal on a mk3 TDI. The difference is that you do not remove or touch the middle nut that holds the pump hub since there's no way to index the hub to the pump.

Just remove the timing belt and fuel hard lines. There are 3 bolts in front and 1 in the rear and the electrical plug, the pump should come right out.

Yes but the bracket is not the same. The bolts are all in the front and thread into the mount plus the rear bolt.

You can reuse the sprocket but don't loosen the main hub bolt, there's no key on the shaft!

Unless you just put a new timing belt on, I would just put on a new kit. But it is possible to remove the pump without removing the motor mount but you still have to lock the crank and camshaft. In other words, slip off the timing belt so uo can remove the pump but don't remove it completely.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

The DG Deluxe TB Kit was put on 35K miles ago, so I'm not replacing it yet. Just a thought, would the job be simpler if there was such a tool as an IP sprocket lock, to keep the TB tension like this:

(CCBB's photo from the writeup)

That way all I had to do would be to put the engine on TDC, lock it, remove the 3 IP sprocket bolts, replace the pump, and realign the timing pin. Would that work?

Speaking of tools, would I need anything else special beside the camshaft lock plate, the tensioner wrench and the pump timing pin?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
There is no such tool and you would still need to lock down the camshaft to reset the tensioner and pump sprockets. What you suggest would be nice but it's just not possible to keep the extremely precise timing and keep the tensioner even.

A 17mm flare nut wrench would be nice for removing the fuel lines, and a torque wrench are the only special tools that I can think of, other than the timing belt tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts