VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just joined the TDI forum. This looks to be a very informational site, and I appreciate the time people take to help one another. I recently purchased a 06 Jetta TDI w/130K. Vehicle ran great for several weeks then the service engine light began illuminating with Code P0101 MAF. Replaced air filter and reset code. 300 miles later another P0101. Started doing some research on probable causes and 150-200 miles later vehicle went into safe mode on way to work. Turned off checked oil, coolant, etc. and restarted vehicle to drive back home. Vehicle began to run very poorly with heavy black smoke in RPM band from 1500-2000. Power was deteriorating and within 10 miles seemed to be running on 3 cyl. Turned off vehicle, towed home and it is now in my workshop awaiting my attention. I thought I'd begin with an inspection of the timing belt and camshaft. I've heard these engines have a history with cam lobe failure. Although that seem like a very rapid deterioration of performance. The vehicle was getting 48 mpg the last tank prior to this issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, if the cam was that bad and ready to explode I would think that you would have felt some symptoms. Mileage is right for the problem. When was the timing belt last done? Check timing belt status, also check cam timing: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/PD-adjust-Idle-TDI.htm it could have slipped.

Could be a chafed wire that finally broke but those normally throw codes. If the turbo took a dump you would see smoke all the way, not just in a narrow rpm band.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
06 Jeta TDI

Thanks, I would have thought the cam would have should shown deterioration in performance over more time. My last Jetta was a 81 Diesel much simpler to work on. At any rate I need to get a service manual for this one before I get started. Thanks for the reply and your time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts