VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm glad to visit a forum that is so well organized and has a lot of serious contributors.

I own subject Beetle, as well as a 2010 Jetta TDI. Last year started having problems with the turbo (not working but car drivable). Took it to my favorite repair shop but they couldn't solve problem once they isolated it down to the ECU/Turbo area so I took it to the dealer. After a couple days dealer said it's going to cost $1200 for a new ECU. When I asked will this solve the problem they said not sure. When I asked "if it doesn't, will they put the original ECU in and not charge me" and they said no. As I'm not comfortable with their trial-error troubleshooting with my $$ I collected the beetle and took it home to figure something else out.

Long story short, just before I was ready to send a used ECU I bought off ebay to have immobilizer disabled (found a business online that did this sort of thing), the turbo started working again. Problem avoided, except for unused used ECU I don't think I'll need for now.

More recent problem involves compounding of problems: I took the beetle into to have an intermittent oil warning light problem resolved (again!!). This keeps happening and they have replaced the pump and sensor but keeps coming back with no real problem found. Anyway, this time I drop the beetle off but when they go to move it into the bay to work on the immobilizer activates with the key I give them. They call me and I drop another key off but no luck still immobilized. Last I heard they were going to look into this problem first.

In closing, I have to say that as much as I love VWs and their history I am not going to buy another car that employs a system that does not allow me to have it repaired wherever I want after the warranty ends, such as VW. I understand that this "immobilizer" system is a great theft deterrent, but I'm the owner and I don't appreciate being held hostage to the dealer--who do not all have the best mechanics, fair prices, or practices.

Thanks for "listening"

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Put the replacement ECU w/delete in it. Yes, unfortunately there are only a few places that can work with the immobilizer system and they are far and few between. There's almost no incentive in it for them because the equipment to work with the system is very expensive. Otherwise you can buy hack tools to retrieve the SKC number and you also need to buy a Ross Tech VCDS.

Also, the dealer are jerks, if they want to do trial error, they do so that their cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts