VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener, first time caller from Columbia MO...

162,000 mi. Working to get everything base lined.

Done so far:

*Air filter
*Fuel filter - was starving up hills, filthy fuel
*Oil filter and oil change - of course it was black
*Lubri-Moly Diesel Purge to clean injectors
*New tires
*buffed headlights
*single key with non-working remote - had the dealer make another key and program but original remote is broken. Ordered new remote for old key. Will reprogram remote using both keys.
*installed Monster Mats for winter

Still to go:

*Auto trans filter and trans fluid - have the parts but needed space in the shop. I'm now too old drape a blue tarp over the car and work in the cold and snow...
*Shocks and struts - have the Bilstein TC for original ride and all the bearings, bump stops and bellows, waiting on the special tools
*intermittant short in HVAC lighting, turns off when changing the vent positions - will pull center knob and re-seat bulb
*both new remote and button in drivers door activate solenoid in hatchback but does not unlock. Tried the easy spray penetrating oil and graphite in the lock cylinder but still doesn't work. Will remove interior trim and clean and adjust mechanism.

Very happy with the car so far. Getting 41-42 mpg driving 75mph (I know minimum consumption at 2100 rpm - but I can't drive that slow..) Hoping diesel purge and trans filter change will help. Two kids in college and I'm trying to save every penny.

Future Enhancements:

Looking to get a GLI display, temp sensor and figure out how to program them all. I have a long history of Vag-com use with various Audis. Will probably need the Vag-tacho to do what I want but more research to be certain. In the interim, I should just get a Scan Guage.

Find the right bluetooth-enabled sound/nav system. I have the Monsoon now.

Keep my eyes out for right set of heated leather to replace my cloth seats.

That's my introduction and thanks for hosting this very helpful forum.

chip (GoofTDI)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Welcome! FYI, automatic transmission fluid is one of the writeups which is looking for step-by-step pictures and tips to be added to the FAQ, if you can take clear pics of every step it would be much appreciated, help others, and also qualify for the writeup contest. The prize is currently $50 e-gift certificate by and from the sponsor kermatdi.com if you win.

Yes, you'll need the SKC to replace the cluster. Step by step screenshots of how to use vag tacho is another writeup I'm looking for :)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do

I would be happy to take pictures of the Auto Trans filter change. I hope to get to it in the next two weeks. My car did not conveniently come with the SKC so I will have some fun finding that...

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Great! The more pics the better since some always don't turn out focused or show what you want. While I have a basic writeup, there is lots more room for improvement. The service manual says that you have to replace the fill cap each time but if you undo the clip carefully you should be able to reuse. The next period for the contest ends Jan 31...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts