VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry for the belated intro, didn't realize I needed to post here first. I live up in northern Alberta, Canada, about 3 hrs from the nearest VW dealership so I try to fix as much as I can myself. I have a 98 Chevy K1500 for driving around town but I picked up a 2009 VW Jetta TDI about 2 years ago. The car is for doing lots of highway driving and I've put about 50000km on it and it's been treating me great (I'm in the RCAF, currently I'm about 6 hrs from home on a course that could take 6-12 months so I travel home every second weekend to see my wife and daughter). I just got the TDI approved emission done so that's good but on the inspection they said 3 of my springs were broken. I knew there was some nice write ups on here (replaced my fuel filter in the summer) so I came and checked out the posts for replacing the springs, seems like a do-able job for me, I just need some advice on shock/strut replacement and possible affordable Canadian sources. Here's the info I prematurely posted in the Mk5 forum:

Hey guys, I need some quick advice on spring and shock/strut replacement. Recently I had my 09 Jetta TDI into the dealership for the TDI approved emission modification and they said 3 of my springs are broken. I didn't have a chance to talk in depth (picked up after service desk closed) so I'm guessing its just a small break at the bottom or something, I haven't had a chance to inspect myself since I'm away from home right now and dont have access to any tools, but I didn't notice anything at all and it still rides fine. I've read the posted how-to's on here for spring replacement and they're great, what I need to know is should I replace my shocks/struts at the same time. I've had the car for about 50 000 km now, and I'm really not sure when the previous owner did them (or if they were ever done, the car is at 175km now). I know you can just push down on the corner of the car to see if they're shot, but they're not shot, what I'd like to know is if there is a way to tell how old they are or roughly how much life might be left in them. Is there any kind of markings on them I can look for to check if they're factory?

And on that note, can anyone recommend good strut/spring combos in Canada, I'd rather just buy them together and not have to assemble myself. I just want 100% stock, no lowering or tightening unless its a good idea for some reason but this car is just for highway driving. I took a look at germanOEM but they don't seem to have any stock replacements and what they do have seems to be very expensive. I do plan on going with germanOEM for my rear springs, shocks and hardware unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks for any advice and thanks for all the useful how-to's.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

A bit late after you have asked questions. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts