VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings to all diesel enthusiasts

I've had recurrent, but intermittent "limp mode" problems with my 2006 Golf tdi. When I had it at the dealer in Corpus Christi, the error codes it showed were intermittent injectors (don't have the numbers anymore) -- sometimes one or two at once. My question is whether or not anyone has seen similar codes and had their car go into limp mode?
I've read that sensor wire or connection problems can cause these errors and subsequent limp mode. Has anyone got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, check the main harness connector on the cylinder head, there are a bunch of wires there. Also check the grounds. However, get the error codes first because those are the first clue as to what's wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i'll try to get the codes first.
probably should get the Bently book ASAP before really digging into this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another look

Yes, check the main harness connector on the cylinder head, there are a bunch of wires there. Also check the grounds. However, get the error codes first because those are the first clue as to what's wrong.
O.K. A Mercedes mechanic nearby scanned the codes for me. The following 4 codes came up, which are all cylinder contribution to imbalance. Each code addresses each cylinder. They are P0266, P072, P0269 and P0263. It seems to be idling fine, but after five minutes running goes limp.

I did use some biodiesel which may have been old or bad, and these codes have me guessing that it's fuel related. So, as soon as my service manual arrives, i'm going to change filters and look at the pick up in the tank, as well as use some diesel purge in the filter. Cheapest, least intrusive simple start to finding the problem.

Will post results soon as i do it.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, it's saying that the injectors are not balanced but since you say you used some bio, it very likely sounds like bad fuel. How long as this problem been occurring? Also, it could still be bad wiring or grounds on the main head wiring harness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's saying that the injectors are not balanced but since you say you used some bio, it very likely sounds like bad fuel. How long as this problem been occurring? Also, it could still be bad wiring or grounds on the main head wiring harness.
As i said in my first post, the problem occurred once before and went away for a long time (about 15,000 miles). The problem returned after beginning to use biodiesel again, though i've used it for @30,000 miles total, at a ratio of about 20-40%. The car now has about 57,000 miles.

I have checked the wiring, but haven't found any loose connections, bad grounds or frayed wiring, YET. I'm supposed to receive the Bentley book this evening via UPS, so i'll have a better knowledge of where to look.

Thanks for your input and interest. I will post when i find the gremlin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K. So i got the fuel filters and diesel purge. First emptied the fuel tank as much as i could by syphoning from the pump inlet. Cleaned the pump screen which had a sticky, black, tar like substance blocking about a third to one half of the the screen. The tank was not completely empty, but without a suction pump, i did the best i could. Refueled after running diesel purge and changing the filter. I wish that i could say that this completely cured the problem, but it didn't. There is a noticeable improvement, but i still have occasional limp mode, which only shutting the engine down and restarting cures temporarily.
I'm open for suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now, after two days running and no more incidence of "limp mode," i have to conclude that my problem was indeed the fuel.
Right after treating the car with diesel purge, i did have a few instances of hesitation, but i attribute that to possible residual bad fuel still in the pick up or return line finally having run through, leaving only good, new fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, it's been a couple of months and the problem has returned. Haven't been using biodiesel and the error code is the same. The thing is that the problem is so intermittent- In a day, i'd take two trips without any limp mode. I'd turn it off, then it occurs consistently for the first few moments of running, requiring me to turn off and reset (possibly three times) to get the power back the very next time i operate the vehicle. Also, if it runs correctly without going into limp mode, it will do so at any speed, on the highway, in slow traffic, anywhere, as long as i don't turn off the engine. The mileage is consistently @41-43 mixed driving (mostly on the highway).
I've begun to suspect that the no. 1 injector is weak or going bad or?
I've looked at the connector going into the head for the injector solenoids, thinking that i might have an intermittent connection to the no. 1 cylinder-either the pos or ground, but it was immaculate and ohmed out as continuous without enough difference from each injector to suspect anything being awry at that point.
I've tried using diesel purge again, but this time with little change.

Anyone out there got a reasonable explanation? seen the same problem?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Intermittent wiring problem or like you guessed,maybe one of the solenoids is failing? This is just a guess. If this was my car, I'd live with it until it got worse (and easier to diagnose) unless you feel it's not livable.

Also, post moved to mk4 section with a more descriptive title.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New title?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Administrator
TDI fanatic

Car: 2006 Jetta TDI
Intermittent wiring problem or like you guessed,maybe one of the solenoids is failing? This is just a guess. If this was my car, I'd live with it until it got worse (and easier to diagnose) unless you feel it's not livable.

Also, post moved to mk4 section with a more descriptive title.

Where was the post moved to? what was the "more descriptive title"?

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum Geoff. welcometomyturbodies

Where was the post moved to? what was the "more descriptive title"?
It was moved to here thats this thread in VW MK4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts