VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get more power, you add more fuel and more air. It's easy to add more fuel, how about more air (without adding a larger turbo) I was looking at the location of the intercooler, how can I increase airflow to the intercooler, make it more efficient, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You could clean it but it'd be dirty again in a week. Make sure there are no leaves clogging the duct. Other than that, without changing the intercooler, that's it. Of course you could spray it with CO2 or NOS, or even water, but I'd rather go with a bigger intercooler.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Don't forget methanol.

Forget CO2 or NOS because they are very short lived and useful for only drag racing. People spray them onto the intercooler or put bags of ice on the intercooler to cool them down. I think I read something about a car that had coolant circulate through pipes that were wrapped around the turbo piping, it made about 100 extra hp at the 800 hp level, but forget those.

Methanol or water sprayed onto the intercooler will make the best of what you have by evaporating and increasing the efficiency of the intercooler. As it evaporates, it takes away heat.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched, it doesn't look like anyone sells aftermarket intercoolers for the TDI except for later years :(

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Nope, sorry. However, it wouldn't be too hard to make your own "kit". Take out the intercooler and see where it mounts. See how much extra room there is and then buy a core that will fit in that area. Take into account the pipes and end tanks. Take it all to a welder, Done!

D

·
0 Posts
I think you could get a good 1" more out of the intercooler, especially in thickness. Generally speaking (barrring space constrants), more frontal surface area is better, then thicker. But if you go too wide, it isn't as efficient in flow but is better in cooling properties. In other words, there is a happy balance for what psi you plan on. I would say that all modded TDIs would benefit, but unlike gas cars, you won't blow up the engine from detonation :) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts