VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the intake manifold off because it's definitely in need of a cleaning, but I also noticed that the ports on the head have a decent amount of carbon in there also. I'd really rather avoid having to take the head off, is this acceptable or do I really need to take the head off and get it cleaned as well?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Take off the valve cover then turn the engine by hand to close the valves on number one cylinder, clean it out and suck out the debris then do the same for the rest. Just use various bits of tubing hooked up to a hoover till you get it small enough to fit in there.

But yeh, as long as you make sure the valves are shut and suck the crud out then nothing should fall in to the engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything that can get damaged inside of the EGR valve if I have the manifold dipped in a hot tank and jet washed? Since I have the integrated manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
most interesting thing ive seen to date...

organic cleaner warmed up to a nice hot dish washing temp.. you can heat/cool that cleaner for a week with a quik shake round and at end of week looks new... or you an warm it up and let it get good/warm and start to scrape...

ive always thought a big turkey pot.. a off balance vibrating type of motor.. and a old block heater would be a nice easy set up to do this... heat it.. let it adjetate.. and i bet day or 2 later be like new with no effort..

no heat.. that stuff will not clean oil off your hands... i was truley impressed...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
most interesting thing ive seen to date...

organic cleaner warmed up to a nice hot dish washing temp.. you can heat/cool that cleaner for a week with a quik shake round and at end of week looks new... or you an warm it up and let it get good/warm and start to scrape...

ive always thought a big turkey pot.. a off balance vibrating type of motor.. and a old block heater would be a nice easy set up to do this... heat it.. let it adjetate.. and i bet day or 2 later be like new with no effort..

no heat.. that stuff will not clean oil off your hands... i was truley impressed...
I really like that idea, I am tempted to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
sadly it takes time... i know a guy and play swap manifolds... but he *****es as it dirtys his cleaner... so next time ill get dirty one shipped to do this and prep for when i do the job... but he has a heating parts cleaner.. how i learned of how it works warm...

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If you can get it G101 made by autosmart is really good, you can just use a bottle brush for stubborn parts but it's still very quick then finish off with a pressure washer. I've done a few that way now, longest one took maybe 20 minutes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts