VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions.

First, I am looking at a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI that was originally purchased in Vancouver so all the gauges are metric. Is it possible to easily change the gauges to read in miles instead of kilometers? Is it even worth it?

Second, the car is in good shape, 5sp manual, with the equivalent of about 83000 miles on it. 1 owner car in the southwest no rust, timing belt service done about 100 miles ago. is $6400 a good price? Is there any questions i should ask? I have read the buyers checklist on here and i think i have asked everything on it and am satisfied the car is in good shape, just unsure about pricing and if i should try a lower offer.

Thanks in advance for everyones help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To answer Question Nr. 1: It's possible to make this change. You will need a VCDS cable and software, and follow the instructions about a third of the way down on this document: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vwmkIV.html
Thanks Rocketeer, when you make the change (looks like changing to us 12 hour clock will change the Odometer to miles) will it actually convert the kilometers that are currently on the odometer to miles or just start calculating from that point in miles?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I changed mine to the UK setting, so the it reads in miles and a 24-hour clock. If I recall, I think I tried a setting to get km just to try it out with no issues, but then I went back to UK setting.

The ECU keeps track of both miles and kilometers, so if you have 100,000 km then it should automatically read ~61,000 miles when switching to the U.S. setting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed mine to the UK setting, so the it reads in miles and a 24-hour clock. If I recall, I think I tried a setting to get km just to try it out with no issues, but then I went back to UK setting.

The ECU keeps track of both miles and kilometers, so if you have 100,000 km then it should automatically read ~61,000 miles when switching to the U.S. setting.
Ok, so i would have to use the UK setting to get it to change to miles, interesting. Thanks rocketeer

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Ok, so i would have to use the UK setting to get it to change to miles, interesting. Thanks rocketeer
You can use either the UK or US setting. If you want miles with 24-hour clock then use UK. If you want miles with 12-hour clock then use US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts