VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has any one installed Zimmerman coated rotors (solid and vented, not X drilled or slotted) and Akebono ceramic Euro pads? I was going to hold off until next year to do a brake job on my 2006 VW Beetle TDI but I got tired of the front brake noise and the poor condition of the rotors. I replaced all pads last year but just wasted my money as I should have replaced the rotors at the same time. The semi metallic pads cut nasty grooves in the rotors. I read where the ceramic pads are easier on the rotors so I hope this will be the last time I have to deal with the brakes for a few years. I chose the Zimmerman rotors out of the hope they will resist corrosion in comparison to standard rotors. I also purchased brake caliper repair kits but may decide to only replace as needed. I also had to purchase the Metalnerd rear brake caliper piston special tool. Although I just spent $350, that's still cheaper than the dealership which would have charged me at least $800 with less quality parts. Purchased the rotors, pads and repair kits through Car Stuff and the Metalnerd tool though ID Parts. Any comments or feedback on these parts will be appreciated.

Installed Zimmerman coated rotors with new Akebono ceramic pads; front calipers were in very good condition, rear calipers were rusty, will replace at a later date if needed. During brake in, rotors were hot but to be expected since pads were burning off coating. Old rotors were in terrible condition with gouging, grooves and rust. Looking forward to quiet braking.

After a few weeks of driving I have to admit I am very pleased with the Zimmerman coated rotors and Akebono ceramic pads.

bigochief

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Can anyone comment on "coated" rotors? The fronts on my car look horrible and it looks like (instead of repair being a simple cleaning of the pins) I'm going to have a full brake job coming up (hoping that the calipers are OK). ECS Tuning has some such "coated" rotors, ECS Geomet, which I was just notified of via e-mail.

The rears on my car have ceramic pads on them. That's what the PO got with the last repair work. Not really thinking I'd want ceramics, but now I'm wondering whether there's any issue with having different pads between front and rear.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Can anyone comment on "coated" rotors? The fronts on my car look horrible and it looks like (instead of repair being a simple cleaning of the pins) I'm going to have a full brake job coming up (hoping that the calipers are OK). ECS Tuning has some such "coated" rotors, ECS Geomet, which I was just notified of via e-mail.

The rears on my car have ceramic pads on them. That's what the PO got with the last repair work. Not really thinking I'd want ceramics, but now I'm wondering whether there's any issue with having different pads between front and rear.
For normal street driving, no prob w/different pads F/R. For track, sometimes.

Coated rotors just have paint so the hat and circumference of the rotor doesn't rust. Although you can't see it, the inner vented area also stays rust free. The rotor face will be the same and will rust overnight with any water exposure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts