VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order a lower radiator coolant heater for my jetta, but I cant find what size my hose is.. does anyone know what size it is, or if there is a better location to put one? thanks

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I bought a coolant heater for mine and it came with its own hoses. You abandon in place the existing hose. (it's joined to another hose).

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I have the exact same type of heater

so the lower hoses are 5/8"

at the same time if anyone else has this type of heater I wonder if yours vibrates or makes any noise indicating that the coolant is circulating because mine only heats, but I don't hear or feel any circulation. It does the job but wonder if the motor is working for circulation. Anyway this is good price, usually they go for 130$

·
Premium Member
73 Posts

at the same time if anyone else has this type of heater I wonder if yours vibrates or makes any noise indicating that the coolant is circulating because mine only heats, but I don't hear or feel any circulation. It does the job but wonder if the motor is working for circulation. Anyway this is good price, usually they go for 130$
There are no pumps in some of them so no forced circulation, the hot water rises by virtue of thermo-siphon and the colder water sinks. You'd be surprised at how hot the engine block will get with just that effect.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
There are no pumps in some of them so no forced circulation, the hot water rises by virtue of thermo-siphon and the colder water sinks. You'd be surprised at how hot the engine block will get with just that effect.

very good explanation! :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Frost heater and it works great. What RMChambers said is a good explanation of how it works. The only requirement is that it be mounted low in the motor compartment. Since it works on the principal of heat rising, it won't work very well if it's mounted high.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heads up my friend, if i'm not mistaken the lower section of the zerostart you purchased (I think the 308xxx is the cylindric type) has a check valve , make sure to remove it or huge problems will ensue. (Take a screw driver and just pry it out, nothing tricky)

The hoses are certainly 5/8's, make sure you fill the zero with distilled or g12 before running engine (idealy). , In my car mounting is the challenge, but you can easly cut into the hose that comes down from the coolant glow plug area then swing it ontop of the heater. Then just remove the bottom section and run straight pipe from the bottom of the oil filter housing (if you dont know which hose, time to read.). If you must you can always just find any 5/8 hose with two 90 bends in it, or use the existing ones and insert a coupler to increase length (if neccesary).

I have not been able to figure out how to mount mine (its not as easy as I thought it would be, I cant seem to find enough clearance from nearby hoses or wiring)

Here's some useful links I found when trying to install mine (i actually gave up, its a f##$king pain in the ass on my car)

This link is gold...
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/ZEROSTART_SERIES_8000_HEATER_INSTALLATION.pdf

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264053&highlight=zerostart
http://65.110.12.166/showthread.php?t=270537&highlight=3308003&page=2
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/zerostart install.htm

Hope it goes well. Mounting is the only challenging part I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolent heater

you should check out kermatdi , they have a great looking heater that looks like factory made, i dont have my motor in yet but i will be getting one before next winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi. The one in my 03 just heats. If it’s cold you can hear it Georgie as it warms the fluid. Mine is a life saver up here. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts