VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
As the title says, today I installed a set of painted body side moldings to our two door Golf. I know there are people who don't like these at all, but we do, both for protection and to help break up the huge flat expanse of metal that passes for a door.

Since the factory moldings are only in black and for four door cars, we looked to Sportwing for a set of pre-painted moldings for a two door. They only list a few colors, but United Gray is one of them. I believe there are other vendors selling these same moldings that may have other colors. Sportwing shipped them promptly, and packaged them well. The color match is very good.

I pretty much followed the directions provided, as well as some notes I found on tdiclub.com and VWvortex. I won't rehash the details on surface prep and such here, only note some things that aren't spelled out in the instructions.

One thing I ran into was that the 3M adhesive tape on the back is not a single piece on any of the four pieces. This appears to be intentional, done so that the ends of the pieces have a larger surface area of adhesive. But this does make it a bit more difficult to remove the backing during the installation. You see, you start at the middle of the car and work towards the ends (where the separate pieces of tape are). After locating the moldings where you want them to be, the instructions have you pull about 12" of backing loose, carefully position the molding, and then continue to pull off the backing tape as you work toward the end. Since I have used this type of adhesive tape before, I saw ahead of time that this was likely to cause a problem and made preparations to deal with it. Sure enough, when I pulled the backing tape off, the backing on the end piece didn't come off. What I did (with the molding stuck in place for about half its length) was to gently pull the end away from the body, then carefully use an Exacto knife to loosen the edge of the backing tape enough to grab and pull it off. Then finish positioning the molding in place.

The other area that is not clear is just exactly where to locate them. All the instructions say is to place it at the widest part of the car. Well, Duh. I used blue painters' tape to place them several times so that I could find a place that looked good to the eye as well offer some protection. After doing the passenger side, I took measurements at several points to make certain that I got the driver's side in the same places. I figured I'd share those measurements here as well.

A - Back from door edge along body crease - 160 mm
1 - From crease down to upper edge of molding at point A - 176 mm
2 - Crease to upper edge at rear of door - 208 mm
3 - Crease to upper edge just behind door - 208 mm
B - Back from door jamb along crease - 410 mm
4 - Crease to upper edge at point B - 210 mm

We are very pleased with how this turned out. The color match is great, we are happy with the appearance on the car, and they should give a little protection to the side of the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Side body moulding

I got my sidebody moulding from Zeta Products. (I think you suggested them.) In any case, I measured the height, front and rear of the OEM moulding on a physically identical GTI. I put the masking tape on just below and installed the moulding. It was very easy and looks great. I think my moulding may be a hair lower, and the rear ending is a little higher than the front. That is just the way the GTI that I measured was. I think your's is closer to the widest part of the car though. Both look good, and provide some protestion against idiots door bumps. (I often try to park next to a SUV. That sounds stupid, I know, but look at them. Most have huge wide rubber bumpers all down the sides.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Wow. Looks factory perfect. I am sure there are many places to put the rub strips that look great. I only wish the strips got wider as they go toward the rear, as on the MK V 2 doors. The crease across the top of the door makes it tricky. That crease isn't there on the MK Vs, so I commend you. You and Walter de'Silva have my vote for making the MK VI look fantastic and "angrier" and more chiseled. Nice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
very cool; nice work

Nice work, and thanks for sharing. the idea and msrmts I like the splash guards too, the two mods go well together. Is there a website that has all these little ideas? I'm new to VW and just didn't know this cool stuff was available. I have a 2011 TDI black golf 4dr hatch that I think would look good with these two upgrades. Robert.:thumbsup

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work, and thanks for sharing. the idea and msrmts I like the splash guards too, the two mods go well together. Is there a website that has all these little ideas? I'm new to VW and just didn't know this cool stuff was available. I have a 2011 TDI black golf 4dr hatch that I think would look good with these two upgrades. Robert.:thumbsup
Robert, for the 4 door cars, VW offers factory moldings as well. The factory moldings are a bit wider, get wider yet towards the back of the car, and are the same black textured finish as the mud flaps. So that is an option for your car as well.

Originally, I thought I'd prefer the textured factory finish, but upon further review, all that would do is make it tougher to wax the car. I'm well pleased with the painted ones now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
S l i c k ! Next, paint the mud flaps!

I have the black on my white car. Guess it goes with the rack, but I think painted is awesome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Side body moulding

I finally got pictures of my TDI with the side body moulding and the mud flaps (Germans term). As I noted before, mine are a little lower as I had measured the location of the moulding on a new GTI and matched it. Anyway, here it is. These are from Zeta Product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts