VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I feel this is something both already gone over but I can't find it and stupid simple. Working on a 2004 jetta tdi that a buddy just got and wanted to do preventative maintenance so I'm installing a new timing belt/water pump and other simple services. Ive installed timing belts on several gassers before and watch the video uploaded by administrator and had zero issues installing the new belt. I double and triple checked myself before buttoning it up, even turned it over by hand a couple of revolutions as advised. Not an issue popped out at me but upon trying to start for the first time it fired up at low RPM (nothing surprising since having the system opened up) but as it tries to come to an idle and hits 1k rpm it dies as if someone shut it off. It sounds great as far as no valve contact or funny new sounds. I tried 20-30 times with the same result! Ive looked over my work and can't find anything unplugged or not connected and it still does the same thing. I am human so I'm now questioning if I have the timing off a tooth or so. I did use the cam pin and crank shaft holding tool upon disassembly so I feel its in the same position as before teardown but ive been around long enough that ok there is that possibility I got it wrong. I did pull the cam pin when pulling the cam pulley as shown in the admins video but it went back in place. The only thing that catches my thoughts are that I had trouble getting the cam pin in place initially and may have moved the cam a bit to get it to fall in. Should I go back to the belt and start over to make sure its right or does this sound like something not plugged in and acting stupid? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all the help guys I figured it out. Must have gotten something off with belt install, tore it down a second time and went through all the steps again and got it right this time.

Super Moderator
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You made another post in the same thread I've deleted the other one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You made another post in the same thread I've deleted the other one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies, this is the very first forum ive been part of and one of the first times ever using a forum for info. I do plan to stay around and participate, there is a great deal of knowledge here and I'm greatful for that.

Registered
Ok guys I feel this is something both already gone over but I can't find it and stupid simple. Working on a 2004 jetta tdi that a buddy just got and wanted to do preventative maintenance so I'm installing a new timing belt/water pump and other simple services. Ive installed timing belts on several gassers before and watch the video uploaded by administrator and had zero issues installing the new belt. I double and triple checked myself before buttoning it up, even turned it over by hand a couple of revolutions as advised. Not an issue popped out at me but upon trying to start for the first time it fired up at low RPM (nothing surprising since having the system opened up) but as it tries to come to an idle and hits 1k rpm it dies as if someone shut it off. It sounds great as far as no valve contact or funny new sounds. I tried 20-30 times with the same result! Ive looked over my work and can't find anything unplugged or not connected and it still does the same thing. I am human so I'm now questioning if I have the timing off a tooth or so. I did use the cam pin and crank shaft holding tool upon disassembly so I feel its in the same position as before teardown but ive been around long enough that ok there is that possibility I got it wrong. I did pull the cam pin when pulling the cam pulley as shown in the admins video but it went back in place. The only thing that catches my thoughts are that I had trouble getting the cam pin in place initially and may have moved the cam a bit to get it to fall in. Should I go back to the belt and start over to make sure its right or does this sound like something not plugged in and acting stupid? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Usually when this happens to me after working on my Passat TDI all I need to do it prime it. To prime a TDI your best bet is to pop open the air intake system right before the throttle body and spray short bursts of carb cleaner while someone else cranks the key. It will start with a little rumble at first but it will fire up. You need to prime it like this anytime you mess with the fuel system which includes manually turning the crank or cam. This is due to the fuel rail spitting small amounts of fuel into the cylinders as you turn it. You may also need to prime start after working on intercooler hoses, but not usually. The first time I had the no start issue I about freaked out. However, my brother who is a diesel mechanic pointed out the carb start technique and it's worked for me like a champ.

Registered
PS.. if it did fire up, your teeth are in the right place. All you need to do is prime it with carb spray to keep it running and then use a vagcom to set torsion value (timing). It wont start at all when off one tooth. To make things even better, there is a price tag looking sticker on your timing belt cover with the factory timing setting on it. If you dont have a vagcom dont bother trying to set the timing. Take it your local non dealer VW shop. Setting the torsion value typically runs 50 to 60 dollars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts