VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought and installed a Curt Trailer hitch for my 2011 Golf TDI. Took 15 minutes to install and works great. Fantastic product IMO. I also bought a ball mount that has a 1 1/4 in receiver with a 2 3/4 inch Rise.
Two days ago I was towing a motorcycle trailer and came to the realization that I need a taller ball mount because the tongue of the trailer was down about half a foot from the trailer axle. The trailer leg-stand was bottoming out on the freeway about 4-5 times, so I'm thinking about buying this hitch...

http://www.curthitchdepot.com/import...mounts-p-15918

My question is what ball mount are you guys using to raise the ball height? I'm not sure on the stock height differences between the different models or years but like I mentioned I have a 2011 stock height Golf TDI. I saw some euro-mounts ball mounts which were cool but they don't look to raise the ball enough.

Also, I haven't installed any connections for the trailer lighting/wiring and wanted to know if I could just splice a clip into the car's lighting harness? I saw a write up about it but it had to do with some power supply box to it that I'm not sure what the use of it was.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did flip it, I had a choice of a 2 5/8th drop or a 2 3/4 rise depending on which way I flipped it. I should of taken pictures of it but oh well, I'll just buy this particular hitch and call it a day I guess. It's only $14 + shipping, just hate buying something twice or three times possible.
Next time I'm towing something I'll make sure and take some pics, people seem to respond better to those! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I took some pictures of the problem, tomorrow I'm going to a local hitch place and see if any of their ball mounts can work for me. They have a small array and hopefully they have something that will work, if not I'll have to figure something else out.
Anyways,

Here's a far away shot, you can kinda see how the tongue of the trailer is much lower than the rear axle...

Closer view, you can see how low the trailer "kick stand" or "leg" is when I drive over a speed bump or a steep driveway...

I'd like to find one that brings the ball to about the bottom of the license plate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was just looking for some other stuff for a different vehicle, but I think you probably want both an extended bar, and a raise. that way, you'll clear the bumper, and bring the ball up to the correct height.

But, at the moment, I can't remember the darn site that had a bunch of that stuff.

Etrailer has some, I don't see the length from hitch pin listed though (except for "standard," "long," etc.).

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball_Mounts-hs-Fits_1~1|4_Inch_Hitch.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts