VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I don't know how many of you frequent vortex, so I thought I would share. There are detailed directions, good tips and part numbers at the link and some photos below of my car after the install.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4724268

Edited to add photos of switch
Ignition on

Parking lights

Parking plus fogs

Parking lights

Parking plus fogs

Parking lights plus fogs and headlights

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Any pics or details on the writeup that you can post here? Something on the level of the writeup on the vortex would qualify for the bimonthly writeup contest.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any pics or details on the writeup that you can post here? Something on the level of the writeup on the vortex would qualify for the bimonthly writeup contest.
Honestly, I think I would feel like a thief if I didn't refer everyone to the OP that first provided the detailed instructions and photos. He deserves all of the credit. The same for the guys with the tips about the locking clip on the plug and using a coat hanger. Sharing on these forums and from forum to forum seems like the way to go to me, but I think you are right that the original write-up is prize worthy.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'll ask the OP if he wants to post here or if I can mirror the content as a FAQ. After doing a procedure yourself you learn more or get different pictures, so additional info isn't in vain.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I'll ask the OP if he wants to post here or if I can mirror the content as a FAQ. After doing a procedure yourself you learn more or get different pictures, so additional info isn't in vain.
I like the idea of asking the OP. If he does help, it would be great if he added the tips about the locking clip on the plug at the switch end and using a coat hanger to route the wire. It seems it would also be good to include the part number for my switch, which was a little less expensive without the chrome, matches the original Golf switch, and seems to work properly with the green light for the fog. If the OP agrees but would prefer for someone else to do the work, then I would be happy to help and combine the useful information from the thread and do whatever you want to post it here on this site.

What's the bottom left position for?
Rear fog, which we don't have in US. There are two positions to pull out the switch for fogs on the Euro switch, but it doesn't do anything extra to pull it out all the way on my US car. Based on one post I read, it sounds like they may give up a reverse light for a rear fog in Europe. I wouldn't want to give up a reverse light for a rear fog, but maybe the post was wrong.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rear fog, which we don't have in US. There are two positions to pull out the switch for fogs on the Euro switch, but it doesn't do anything extra to pull it out all the way on my US car. Based on one post I read, it sounds like they may give up a reverse light for a rear fog in Europe. I wouldn't want to give up a reverse light for a rear fog, but maybe the post was wrong.
Yup in Europe lef hand drive cars have the rear fog on the left (where the reverse light is in the states) and same goes for right hand drive cars on the opposite side. VERY useful feature in bad weather where a lot of people use their hazard lights when it pours lol. FYI on the Golf 6 the rear fog is an LED red light (latest on the oem Golf R, GTI and GTD LED tail lamps).

Simple mod and well worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
9,140 Posts
Yup in Europe lef hand drive cars have the rear fog on the left (where the reverse light is in the states) and same goes for right hand drive cars on the opposite side.
I'm told that in the States they don't have a fog lamp as standard. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm told that in the States they don't have a fog lamp as standard. ;)
True for VWs and BWMs. Other European makes do include the rear fog light here in the States, including Mercedes, Volvo, Jaguar and - oddly - Audi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts