VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible?
I just took delivery of my black 2010 Golf TDI and found a great deal of the RNS-510 navigation system radio online. Can it easily be swapped, are the cables and connectors compatible?
I did a search but could not figure out on what is involved.
Thanks a lot.

Oh, btw. my name is Tom and I am sure I will post here a lot, seems like there is a ton of information out here. I also need to get the VAG-Com tool for some mods, nobody seem to live in my area, (Orange County, NY).

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'm 95% sure it'll work.

I believe the plugs are direct fit and you just have to add a GPS antenna. You have to recode the radio and of course, you must have the radio code so that it's not locked.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is it possible?
I just took delivery of my black 2010 Golf TDI and found a great deal of the RNS-510 navigation system radio online. Can it easily be swapped, are the cables and connectors compatible?
I did a search but could not figure out on what is involved.
Thanks a lot.

Oh, btw. my name is Tom and I am sure I will post here a lot, seems like there is a ton of information out here. I also need to get the VAG-Com tool for some mods, nobody seem to live in my area, (Orange County, NY).
Hey Tom, welcome aboard!

YES the system is 100% compatible with your 2010 TDI. There is a seller on Ebay that I got my unit from two weeks ago (for my 2011 Golf 6 TDI) and the unit is the newest unit built in March of 2010. He gets them regularly from Europe and is quite informative.

Check this out. Tell him Michael (quailallstar) sent you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-US-Spec-RNS-510-Navigation-RNS510-MFD3-Navi-/290409152535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item439dbc0017

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Tom, welcome aboard!

YES the system is 100% compatible with your 2010 TDI. There is a seller on Ebay that I got my unit from two weeks ago (for my 2011 Golf 6 TDI) and the unit is the newest unit built in March of 2010. He gets them regularly from Europe and is quite informative.

Check this out. Tell him Michael (quailallstar) sent you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-US-Spec-RNS-510-Navigation-RNS510-MFD3-Navi-/290409152535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item439dbc0017
Yhanks a lot, I will check it out......now what do you mean by 2011 Golf.....I just bought the 2010 and thought that's the newest one :dunno

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yhanks a lot, I will check it out......now what do you mean by 2011 Golf.....I just bought the 2010 and thought that's the newest one :dunno
You do have the newest one and currently only 2010's are for sale. I'm ordering a 2011 this summer (as 2010 orders have already closed as of March 2010) for production sometime this late Fall.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thank you for the link. he used unit for 900.- was sold already and I am not sure if 1700.- fits my budget just now. :dunno

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I'm 95% sure it'll work.

I believe the plugs are direct fit and you just have to add a GPS antenna. You have to recode the radio and of course, you must have the radio code so that it's not locked.
i just installed one in my 2010 TDI and came across one issue. the adapter for the radio provided doesn't fit nor does the native one. Is there some other adapter i need in order to use the antenna in my car?

·
Registered
189 Posts
i just installed one in my 2010 TDI and came across one issue. the adapter for the radio provided doesn't fit nor does the native one. Is there some other adapter i need in order to use the antenna in my car?
Yes I believe you do need a special antenna adapter cable. Contact Steve (sold me my RNS 510) who sells these parts: [email protected] on ebay and VwVortex.com

Tell him Michael from Miami sent you.

The cable looks like this

Made by Kufatec
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1043_VW-Antenna-adapter-Navigation-RNS-510-FAKRA.html

Here is an install into a Tiguan that shows the cable you might need.
http://jamaicastore.com/images/RNS_510_09_VW_Tiguan_DIY_Installation_Guide.pdf

Hope this all helps you out.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
whats the part number?

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
i got it figured out. i reoved the housing from the adaptoer and plugged it into the antenna and the back of the radio. works great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up my TDI and ordered my RNS-510 upgrade from Ebay, i get it tomorrow. I hope it is plug and play the guy I ordered from told me for the 2010 models it was.

(I am also from Orange County, NY)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you will love the RNS-510, I have found it to be a very good nav system and the touch screen display makes operation easy. It even warns you about 3/4 mile in advance of approaching toll booths so you can have cash ready! Will also warn you of restricted access communities as soon as you enter the address and start route guidance.

At first, I didn't want the nav system, but took it because TDI's are hard to find and my car had everything else I wanted. Now, I'm glad to have the RNS-510 - expensive, but worth it in the long term.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4823584-DIY-RNS-510-Coding

is really good on recoding the car to have your controls work again.
Thanks for the INFO, it came in handy!

I successfully installed RNS -510 unit and thanks to your information it was successfully recoded. YEAH!

It is a great unit and I am glad I upgraded!

I was wondering what behavior I should be expecting from the phone button on the unit. Currently, it is just muting the radio.

Thank you all for your help. Next upgrade HID's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts