VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to do a lot of work on my 03 jetta tdi, end result I got everything back together (timing belt job) and the car started no problem. But, I had developed a fuel pump leak, tried to tighten a few bolts on distributor end but it still leaked. I got the pump seal kit from id parts (great guys, very helpful)and took the pump back off and removed the distributor end, this is where the disaster started, with no schematics I did this blind, not realizing that there are 21 parts that will fall apart when you take it off.

I managed to get it back together with apparently one thing misplaced, the cam plate pin was (I believe) 180 degrres out so it wouldn't start (fuel was being supplied to the injectors). I took it back off and swithched the cam plate 180 and was putting it back on when I needed to pin it it was a little difficult so I put some torq on the main shaft nut (clockwise) to line up the pin position( it was only 1/16 - 1/8 off. This paticular time the shaft actually ended up clicking over 90 (approx.) degrees.

How do I get the pump back to proper timed position?

Here is what I have done so far, I manually (with socket wrench) turned the main shaft three more 90's and it went past again, so I went another three 90's to pin position and pinned it, put everything back together....no start, I have fuel at injector nuts. I talked to a friend that suggested rotating the shaft another full rotation which I did, pinned the pump cheked tdc and crank index all good still no start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I don't envy you with that one, I wonder if you could just rotate the pump x amount of teeth to check if it's back to 180 out, just slacken the timing belt and move the pulley 180 round, won't be able to lock it but it might be easier than taking the pump apart and if it starts you'll know the cam plate thing is 180 out again.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There is a lot that could be wrong....the turning over is because I think you're turning the shaft over and the nut is already tight.

Check the QA value for starters. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm Since you took the thing apart, make sure the QA arm is on the adjuster collar. Also check out this article: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/renaultip.htm

and this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR44StvcXmshttp://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/renaultip.htm

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
did you guys hear anything about diesel pump recall from 2005? I have read somewhere on Alldata software that dealers should replace it for free due to some leaks, maybe that is what your problem is. I will check more into it and will provide you with recall number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

seatman, great idea! wish I would have done it that way! I pulled pump back off and broke it down again just to make sure that I had done everything right (I now have a severe case of "lack of confidence" in my abilities). Good thing I did, I found that I put the "actuator" collar on upside down, the machined shoulder should face the fuel port(s) end of pump, why?, I'm glad you asked...the distributor shaft has a exhaust hole that has to be covered during compression in order to build appropriate pressure for fuel injectors, so, although I was getting fuel to the injectors I don't think they were getting proper pressure.

I haven't tried restarting yet, should have everything back in place this morning. I'll update as soon as I know.

as always, thanks for the input! This has got to be the best site on the web!!!

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Lol I remember years back pulling a diesel pump apart, there was no way I was puting it back together though. It was a non working one and I was just curious so no harm done.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still clueless

Well...still no start. I am going to pull the injectors and make sure they are receiving the appropriate pressure to open....the saga continues.

Almir, thanks for recall link, unfortunately mine is 03 and not covered.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts