VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Hope you are doing well. Just to share with you some problem I lately having with my Seat Altea of 2005, 77kw/105bhp TDI after i did change the engine belt. I have noticed a increase of the fuel consumption at least by 25. On interurban I hardly get 5.3l/100km and the urban consumption is sometime 11l/100km. The usual average I am getting around city is 9.5l/100 which is very high compare to 7-8L/100km i did get before. I told to the guy that changed the time belt and he told me that there is no connection between them. I read somewhere that my injector might have the problem so i took 2 days ago a injector cleaner which i added to the fuel. The car has been in service so has all filter changed 2000km ago. After the the injector cleaning in case that nothing is changing what i must try?! Need your help guys.
Thank you
noku77

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Seat Altea doesn't tell us much, please add the year to your car spec? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apology if there is smth wrong on my post. I just wondered about my problems searching on the internet. Than i come across to this forum which it looks what I was looking for.
As I said I have a Seat Altea 1.9TDI, year 2005, 77/1005 and had the engine belt change. After that I have noticed a change on the fuel consumption, an increase of at least 25%. Maybe I discovered i bit later cause is not that you after the belt changing you start looking at the fuel consumption. I have asked to the person who did change the belt and he told me that there is no connection between the belt and the consumption. Then I send the car to another guy cuase i was listening a small noise on the side of the belt. He opened and told me that the belt was very very tight and also the engine was not in phase, according to him it was 1 and a half tooth forward. The car has worked for 2000km like this. Now I have done 1.000 after the last service. The noise of the engine is a lot smoother but the consumption is still high. 2Days before I have putted inside fuel injector cleaner. But I am just wondering that in case that is not injector cleaner issue what might be?!
thank you
n

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the belt is out, then there’s your problem surely, I would take it to someone who knows how to correctly fit the belt and have them adjust it.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Hopefully the mechanic(?) who changed the belt (as well as the tensioner, water pump, rollers) knew what he was doing and had the correct tools (including the computerized tool needed to set timing/torsion as well as the crank and cam locks) to do the job properly... it's much too easy to cause serious damage when doing this - although it's not too difficult to do it properly...

Yuri

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys. Just to let you know that the car finally is coming back to normal consumption. The injector cleaner did the proper job. I do not have any more that dark smoke on the exhaust when I get over 3000rpm.
Just a big thank you for every one of you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys. Just to let you know that the car finally is coming back to normal consumption. The injector cleaner did the proper job. I do not have any more that dark smoke on the exhaust when I get over 3000rpm.
Just a big thank you for every one of you.
Did you only add injector cleaner? Or did you get your car to a garage for a belt reajustment?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts