VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted something the the "newbie" section, but I don't think I had formally registered. This should work better, I hope.

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI purchased in November of 2010. It's a six speed manual.

I have two questions:

1. What type of mileage should I expect? We went round trip from MI to Florida and mileage was in the very low 40s. I have about 6,200 miles on the car. I guess I was expecting higher mileage. Is this "wishful thinking" on my part?
2. More vexing problem, which has happened two or three times. The display that normally shows Fuel Consumption (memory 2), outdoor temperature, mileage on vehicle, and mileage since I set the trip odometer, spontaneously DISAPPEARS. It is replaced by a display that shows the current radio station I am listening to, typically a Sirius station. I reach my destination, turn off the ignition, then turn on the ignition, and the "normal" display returns. When the radio station display is visible, I'm unable to access any features in the Multi FunctionDisplay, which I normally access through the controls on the right of the steering whell.

The dealer says there are no reported issues similar to this, and I spoke to VW Customer Service, and the gal is looking into my problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joe. welcometomyturbodies

1. I'm not sure I know what you mean by expected mileage? Are you talking about fuel consumption or expected mileage from the engine?

As regards fuel con you getting 40 US mpg which is a bit more than UK mpg. I get around low 40's UK mpg thats a full tank usage average.

They do say the engine will loosen up the more miles it does, they say around 10k plus it gets better but this will depend on the type of driving you do. I've only done just over 6k in mine.

2. This will depend if you have the MFSW fitted but on mine if you click the left or right buttons that will show the radio station/MDI track playing been listened too while the engine is running. With engine stopped you can access the MFD menus and see the radio station/MDI track playing.

The up and down buttons cycle through miles left with fuel in tank, distance travelled on current journey (this will zero after being stopped for 2 hours or more), time you've been travelling, oil temperature, average speed for journey, actual fuel con depending of throttle postion etc but I find this useless as you put your foot down at it can show 22mpg take your foot off and it can show 200mpg until it tops out. You can select which options you want showing in the MFD menus.

The OK button just switches between memory 2 overhaul average and memory 1 measured fuel con. You can zero both of these memories if you hold down the OK button for a couple of seconds. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I posted something the the "newbie" section, but I don't think I had formally registered. This should work better, I hope.

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI purchased in November of 2010. It's a six speed manual.

I have two questions:

1. What type of mileage should I expect? We went round trip from MI to Florida and mileage was in the very low 40s. I have about 6,200 miles on the car. I guess I was expecting higher mileage. Is this "wishful thinking" on my part?
2. More vexing problem, which has happened two or three times. The display that normally shows Fuel Consumption (memory 2), outdoor temperature, mileage on vehicle, and mileage since I set the trip odometer, spontaneously DISAPPEARS. It is replaced by a display that shows the current radio station I am listening to, typically a Sirius station. I reach my destination, turn off the ignition, then turn on the ignition, and the "normal" display returns. When the radio station display is visible, I'm unable to access any features in the Multi FunctionDisplay, which I normally access through the controls on the right of the steering whell.

The dealer says there are no reported issues similar to this, and I spoke to VW Customer Service, and the gal is looking into my problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.
Hello,

I too have a 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG purchased in November.

Unless there is a problem with your MFD there are 2 buttons located on the left side of the steering wheel (left and right buttons of the button group) that page through various MFD functions. The up/down and Ok buttons drill into the various sub-menus.

Here is video;
http://askavwsalesguy.com/2010/12/21/multifunction-display-indicator-mfdmfi-explained/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts