VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI that has has intermittent issues with the immobilizer. It has failed completely 2 times previously. In each case, the car was towed to a VW dealer. Both times, the immobilizer problem had disappeared by the time the car was tried by the dealer. In both cases, the car would not start due to the immobilizer even when tried over several days.

The dealer suggested recoding the keys the first time. The second time, they suggested purchasing another valet key, and coding it in. The thought that I should use only that key from then on.

Neither of these fixes were correct or long lasting. The car has failed for shorter periods in between these more catastrophic failures. In each case, I rapped on the steering column (hoping the problem was in the key recepticle) and usually the problem would go away for some period of time, maybe six months, maybe more.

The car has failed again and I am faced with what to do next. I am certain that the problem is not the keys. I am also certain that my dealer has no idea what to do beside just starting to replace things at random. It is further compounded by the intermittent nature of the problem.

I would like to just disable the immobilizer if possible. The second best plan would be to have the dealer replace the key recepticle and hope for the best.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I live in the Minneapolis, MN area. The dealer I have dealt with is in Burnsville, MN.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The immo allows the car to start then cuts out after 2 seconds, if it's not even starting what about the relay 109? Does the glow plug light come on when it's playing up? As for removing the immo that's tuners job, you can get it mapped out.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2nd, can you be clear about the problem? If it won't start it's not the immobilizer. Do you mean, won't stay running?
It is the immobilizer system. The car starts momentarily then shuts off, and the immobilizer light begins flashing.

On many occasions, the problem goes away after cycling the key off then on again. But, this is the third time that it stubbornly refuses to fix itself, even after letting the car sit for a couple of days.

After reading some of the information here, I learned that the system will time itself out after a half hour or so on some of the vehicles. I tried this and it worked for me. I turned the key to the on position and waited about 40 minutes. At that time, the key light had stopped blinking (but the glow plug light was still blinking). The car started up normally. Since then, it has been fine with no return of the problem.

At least this is a fix, even if it is inconvenient, that will not leave me stranded as before.

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Yes one of the tricks is disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for a few seconds this is supposed to discharge and capacitors in the system. Connect the battery back up and turn the ignition on for 1 hour. This fixes some models but not all, you have been lucky?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts