VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago my immobilizer failed in my 2002 New Beetle TurboS. The dealer installed a new wire in the dash and solved the problem, for $300. Now it has become flakey again. Sometimes dying after a second, then starting ok on the second try. I want to disable the entire immobilizer rather than replacing the Cluster which I am sure he will want to do next. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes. The details are in the exclusive content forum. For anti-theft reasons, I have decided to move all content regarding this topic out of the publicly accessible forum.

It's possible the problem is in the ignition switch - this is the antenna and wire pickup for the immobilizer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What error code is it throwing? Do you have a low battery? 2nd on the pickup wire. It's possible it's going bad and was the problem the first time around and touching something fixed it temporarily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
immobilizer problems

What error code is it throwing? Do you have a low battery? 2nd on the pickup wire. It's possible it's going bad and was the problem the first time around and touching something fixed it temporarily.
The only visable error was the flashing car with key symbol, if I try to start while this is flashing it will start them die. If it is not flashing it starts and runs fine. If it is flashing before I turn to start and I remove key and replace and wait to see if the flashing stops then it starts fine. sometimes it takes 2 attempts to have it stop flashing. some times it never flashes and starts fine in first attempt.

Dealer service department found P1570. went thru a lot of diagnostics the first time in and was pretty sure it was fixed with the replacement of the w wire. It solved the code they were getting. Apparently they reprogram the key cluster but that didn't solve the problem but the valet key no longer works. I didn't have that key with me at the time and they didn't reprogram that one.

They certainly were messing around in there a lot and could have moved something that made it work for a while

This is a gas TurboS and I assume this part of the car is the same as a TDI.

I would gladly have the ECU flashed to permanently disable the immobilizer Are there tuners around that can do that for me in So Cal

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is a tool you can get witch plugs into the diognostic socket witch ables to turn of the immobilizer there about 1000 quid though and have never came across a garage witch uses them type in your search box bypass immobilizer and you should find it
on some models you can smash off the solinoid on the pump useally a black box with sheard off security bolts and then fit a standered one wire solinoid and wire it with a feed and a switchdepending on your ecu

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spare activates the immobilizer

My wife has a 2004 Golf and last week I took her house/car keys to work by mistake.
She tried her space keys (not used for a few years), but it activated the car's immobilizer.
I went home and her original key did the same, spoke to a dealer who said that a VW car could lose the link to a key if it wasn't used for some time. In the end the car was towed to the dealer who charged us £48 to reprogram the car to the keys.

I have a 2006 Jetta and I haven't used its spare keys, it does the same for my spare, but my original car still works. The dealer wants another £48 to reprogram my spare key to my Jetta!

They never told us that we should use the spare keys, is there anything I can do! Help!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, that is not true. A car will not lose a link to a key if it's not used for a long time. I have never heard of this.

However, if a key is reprogrammed and the other key is not present while programming it, that will cause it to lose the link. Whenever the key immobilizer is programmed, all keys have to be present or the ones not present will no longer work. That is how the immobilizer system works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i have the same problem, i changed the Battery in the car a couple of months ago and started having problems with the immo i have the control type key and i also have the valet key, can i still use the valet key if i can't start my car with the control key? also i bought the car as a used car and i dont have the tab to retrieve the SKC can you please help, is my only car and i can't keep missing @ work!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hi i have the same problem, i changed the Battery in the car a couple of months ago and started having problems with the immo i have the control type key and i also have the valet key, can i still use the valet key if i can't start my car with the control key? also i bought the car as a used car and i dont have the tab to retrieve the SKC can you please help, is my only car and i can't keep missing @ work!!
Control type key? What is that?

You should be able to use the valet key. I cannot give you your SKC, how would I know that? Look through the immobilizer FAQ to figure out how to retrieve it. Unfortunately, the dealer can't give it to you either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i wanted to said the remote key fob, but anyways i haven't used the valet key because the main key works now, i did what it was recommended in the immo FAQ which it was inserting the key in the switch and leave on for a couple of hours, thanks for your prompt response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's possible that the chips will quit if not used.

We bought a year old 2010 golf a month ago. Both the second key, with the remote control, and the valet key activated the immobilizer function. Neither key had been used since the vehicle went on the road a year earlier.

The dealer reprogrammed them, under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts