VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Immobilizer problem Golf 4

24K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  udraft 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a problem with the immobilizer on a Golf 4 ALH 2001. The engine starts but stops after 1 second. I tried both keys, same problem with both. Another thing, the key led symbol from instrument cluster is not lightning at all (not blinking, it doesn't lignt at all). Any ideas what can I do ?

Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
One thing to try before anything else is to switch on the ignition(engine not running), press the throttle pedal to the floor - switch off ignition - release the throttle pedal - turn ignition back on. Leave it switched on for ten or fifthteen minutes to allow the cars electronics to cycle. After this try starting the car. If it still will not start then you are looking at a problem with either the chip in the cars key, the antenna/wiring in the steering coluum, or the cars ECU. This will require a full scan to find it out.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the response, I'll try that out. Also forgot to mention, scanned with vcds and this error comes up

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I tried to clear the error but it doesn't work

Update : tried the Allan method, same problem. The key simbol led is not lighting up and the engine stops after 1 second.

#4 · (Edited)
VAG Error Code: 17978
EOBD II Error Code: P1570

Fault Location:
Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer

Possible Cause:
Engine starting but stalling immediately.

Key(s) not matched.
Incorrectly coded.
Instrument Cluster not matched.
Engine control module (ECM) not matched.
Engine control module (ECM) Power Supply faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check for Fault Codes in Immobilizer itself (part of Instrument Cluster in many cars, but separate Immobilizer Control Module in some).
Check Immobilizer Measuring Values (usually in Instrument Cluster OR Immobilizer Control Module).
Match Key(s)/Instrument Cluster/Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Check Engine Control Module (ECM) Power Supply (Relay).

Special Notes:
In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experience an Immobilizer related Problem! Even if the Immobilizer engages, the Engine will still start fine but cut out after 2-3 Seconds. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Engine doesn't start at all) your Problem is very likely NOT Immobilizer related.
May be stored in Combination with 01176 - Key: Signal too Low in Immobilizer Control Module.
If no other immobilizer related fault codes are stored and the immobilizer related measuring blocks are fine except Engine Start not allowed, in rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery. (Example.)

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

#5 ·
Thanks for the response. I already readed those infos, tried the battery calbes method, still same problem with the immobilizer. I also tried to take out the battery over night...nothing solved the problem. I have a vag com interface cable (clone, not original) and a vag tacho cable. Any ideas ?

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

It could be that your chip reader is knackered?
What do you mean by chip reader he has a VAG-COM clone?

Car: 2001

And what model do you drive, please add that to your car spec?

I've asked you to change that once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.