VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Jetta (not diesel)
Help please! Just got home last night from trip, left car in driveway to unpack, went to put car in garage and car would start but immediately shut off. Immobilizer light comes on and all lights come on, but information such as mileage is messed up. We tried (from reading online) connecting the battery charger for several hours even, with no luck, immobilizer light never turned off.
We stopped several times during trip with no problem, thank goodness we didn't get stranded!
I did read online something that made me wonder: that the problem might have to do with the high beam headlights causing a problem (a disconnect of the electrical...something like that) and what made me wonder if this could be our problem is that, after our last gas stop, about 1 1/2hr away from home, is the only time i used the high beams on and off for around 1 hour of a long, dark stretch of road. Could this be the problem? and is there a way to fix this ourselves?
I have read about reprogramming the keys, but don't know if this is necessary or would fix the problem (we have a second set of keys that resulted in the same problem) I find it hard to believe that reprogramming the keys would fix the root of the problem, the immobilizer would remain faulty, wouldn't it?
I hate the idea of towing to the dealership, doing a whole diagnostic check which i can hardly afford, let alone the repair itself.
I appreciate any help! thanks for a helpul response!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
First, post moved to mk4 section since it's a bit technical.

I cannot see how using the high beams would cause the immobilizer to be tripped except if the battery was drained.

Reprogramming the keys should not work at all. Especially since in your 2003 the keys can only be matched once to a vin, it would be a waste of money. Especially since your second set of keys resulted in the same problem.

Take a look in the immobilizer FAQ in the FAQ section and try some of the more advanced solutions. Short of buying the tools yourself to get codes and then work with the immobilizer system, towing to the dealer is the next best solution. If you want to DIY, buy the ross tech VCDS and get codes. Then monitor the key and immobilizer status. It will let you isolate the problem and then let you replace or repair whatever is causing the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
If you want to DIY, buy the ross tech VCDS and get codes. Then monitor the key and immobilizer status. It will let you isolate the problem and then let you replace or repair whatever is causing the problem.
While VCDS will let you diagnose and isolate problems, it will NOT get you the cluster's Secret Key Code... (It's possible that your instrument cluster got damaged somehow, although why this happened at this particular moment is a mystery...) Ross-Tech's product is wonderful to have, but your immediate problems will probably best be diagnosed at a dealership - although that may wind up costing a small fortune... (You could try posting in the regional forums over on the TDI-Club or VWvortex to see if anyone local may have a working copy of Vag-Tacho...)

Sorry... no good news to report...

Yuri

·
Registered
13 Posts
This just a long shot but if your vehicle has a fan control module located under the battery box this coulb be the problem I had the same issue disconnected both plugs from the Fan control module and the car started again without any issues. Mine was a diesel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts