VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car up on stands for a few days, finally I got everything back together and went to start it and it fired right up then died. The immobilizer is now activated.

Options?

Jim

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Battery died? Sometimes it goes away just as randomly if you leave the key in with ignition on and just let it sit for a half hour. One person had it go away overnight. There is no reason for it to be activated but I hear random activation is one of the more common problems that the system can have. Take a look at the immobilizer faq for more info on the system and troubleshooting steps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Immobiliser problems

Hi,
New to the forum, hello to everybody.
Have an 1999 A3, the car had a flat battery down to 9 volts. I replaced the battery and tried to start the car, however the key just turned in the barrel. I tried this twice and now it works fine.
The immobiliser light is now on everytime I try and start. The cars fires up for 2 seconds then dies.

My question is:

Are these 2 issues related, would the key turning in the barrel cause the immobiliser problem or is it the very low battery voltage, or is it both?
I have tried both keys, the immobiliser light just flashes and beeps and the car runs for 2 seconds and dies.
I cant afford to take this to a dealer and would like to know if I can bypass this system.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Immobiliser problem

My immobilizer goes on the spare key. I changed the battery but the immobilizer warning is still lit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
more immobilizer woes

My 2002 Golf TDI has suffered greatly this winter. I live in a fairly remote area of Co and have experienced a disabled immobilizer twice this winter, one month apart. The nearest dealer is about 200 miles away and it's a pretty expensive tow job. I have some pretty good mechanics in the nearest town but have not found one that can figure this out.

My conclusions are this: either live near a dealer if you own one of these or have a heated garage. I have a block heater but at 20 below it doesn't seem to have much effect. Trying to turn a diesel at those temps runs the battery down FAST and once the voltage goes below 9 volts then there goes the immobilizer.

Right now the car is sitting in a local garage and I'm faced with the dilemma of letting this guy keep trying and reading posts or sucking up and ordering another tow..

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi everyone welcometomyturbodies.
There was someone on here recently whose immobiliser was playing up and they took off the battery cables and tied them together for 30mins and that seems to have sorted their's:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happend to wife';s car after took off the battery.
Havent try the "key in leave for 30 min" trick, car is at the garage right now, wish i saw this earlier ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts