VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a TDI/5-speed Golf GL 2 door in silver. I drive around 650 miles per week and the fuel is killing me in my Audi S4. The VW TDI will fit the bill perfectly. The last time I worked on a TDI, I was working for VW and these were brand new then. So I really never had to dig into them too deep. What do I need to look out for? I'll have to fly out to pick it up and drive it 1069 miles home. I should only have to fill the tank twice...I like that a lot!
Being new to this forum and belonging to many others up to and including owning/Admin/moderating a couple I need to learn the ins-outs of Myturbodiesel.com. So please pardon my ignorance, it will be short lived. Now I need to go and buy the manuals for this car…

Besides my "real Job" (see bolow...) I also own Audi5TurboTech and I mostly import performance Audi parts for the older I-5 turbo 10 and 20 valve cars including fiberglass and Kevlar/composite body kits from Germany. At one point I was a VAG-COM dealer but have since dropped them due to their change in dealer purchasing. (I wasn't selling enough of them) I also provide custom fabrication work and performance engine building. My last build for a customer was a 1993 Audi S4 with 470-500 hp. I export US made performance engine parts from Pauter and Carrillo and I am a TurboSmart dealer for their entire product line. I have started to leave the performance chip sales for the stand alone engine management from VEMS. I will be picking up that product line soon.

A little bit about me,
I am an FAA licensed Aircraft & Power plant technician (A&P), and FCC licensed (Avionics) and American Welding Society (AWS) certified welder. I've also worked for Audi and VW as a technician and I was (expired and no longer live in that area) a Virginia State Vehicle Safety Inspector and a Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Emissions Inspector and Technician. After serving in the US Marines for 4 years, I went to college and received a degree in aircraft maintenance management and my FAA A&P licenses. I went to work for Northwest Airlines out of Washington, D.C. where I spent most of my 13 years with that company. I've also spent time at the heavy maintenance DC-9 station in Atlanta and Philadelphia also with NWA. Most of my time was with the Airbus A320 fleet. I am the Station Maintenance Manager for Spirit Airlines at Atlantic City International. I'm coming up on two years with this company. I'm currently going through the hiring process for a government job that will take me to Buffalo, NY.

My Fleet

-1983 Audi UrQuattro (my pride and joy currently going through a full restoration)
-1984 Audi 4000 2 door saloon (I've never seen another one)
-1993 Audi S4 (370-380 hp with current RS2 mods)
-1996 Audi A6 Quattro Avant (wife’s car)
-1987 Mercedes Benz truck model 1219 (this has been called the "Audi5TurboTech Special Weapons Van" it’s my welding and fab shop on wheels)

...and soon a 2003 VW Golf 2-door TDI, I purchased it today and fly out to drive it home from Arkansas on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to talking with you and I hope I can contribute to this forum.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Welcome! The TDI sites out there are myturbodiesel, Tdiclub, vwdiesel.net, and vwvortex. Each has a different feel and content. This site's goal is a consistent format for the FAQ, easy navigation so you can quickly find answers, and constant updates. It's not as busy as some other forums but I think you'll find the FAQ very informative and it's updated with current info. For example, I try to avoid hosting .pdf "how to" files because old files get passed around and never get updated.

The TDI will definitely be a good fit for you. Some people modify for power, some people modify for economy, some people modify for style. Much like the different TDI sites out there, different owners all have different tastes!

At the top of the forum you'll see a FAQ with a list of stuff, with links, to check for with your new car. Too much to list here, take a look through and welcome!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not looked into using VEMS on a TDI as yet. I will be diving into all sorts of stuff as soon as I pick up the car and perform a bunch of preventative maintenance. I'm going to pursue a fuel economy approach to this TDI. Not looking for "how much HP can I get" this is a daily driver and its sole intent is to save me money with my current north of $100 per week fuel fill-ups in the Audi S4. I’ll expect high 40’s to 50+ mpg.

D

·
0 Posts
Welcome! There are a few chip tuners out there that specialize in the TDI. Rocketchip http://www.rocketchip.com/ makes a mild power upgrade for people who want to maximize therir fuel economy....but I think the max fuel economy would be achieved with low boost and no chip.

I think adjusting the fuel injection quantity through VAG COM with the stock nozzles would be the best setup for fuel economy. Changing the fuel injector nozzles is possible because the tips are interchangeable and may give a slight fuel economy upgrade due to different nozzle orifice shape. The stock nozzles are smaller though.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that this forum is a lot more organized than other forums. I've never heard of vwdiesel.net, but those other sites have lousy searches and it's impossible to find the info you want. I hate TDIclub's look because there are a million forums and I don't bother clicking through them all. They could have 10 sub forums instead of 30.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I joined a few different TDI forums trying to learn more. I keep finding that I come back here and TDIClub. They are both good forums and each have their own look and feel between them. No forum will please absolutely every member, hence the reason that forums of similar topics splinter off each other to change the organization the way they think it should look. I am the admin/moderator/owner of an Audi forum called Just Four Rings and a Yahoo e0group called Audi5TurboTech. The 4 admin’s in Just Four Rings do not make a move until we hear the membership ask about the change. We actually have a topic called “Forum Enhancements†where all members can suggest or pass on their ideas on what they would like to see or ways to improve the organization of the site. It’s worked very well so far. Is it really what they want or is it one rogue member would like to see? To each their own and variety is the spice of life… I was thinking of starting a forum off of my company web site but I have been holding back. Similar to Motor geek, 034 Motorsports got its start by offering a forum site for their customers to ask questions and offer support and also promote the 034 product line. I don’t think my company warrants such a forum at this point. Maybe when I start to carry the stand alone engine management system VEMS… In the mean time I find it helpful to visit a lot of different TDI sites because you might find that one gifted individual that can communicate the answer into words you’ll be able to understand.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I hate TDIclub's look because there are a million forums and I don't bother clicking through them all. They could have 10 sub forums instead of 30.
Wrong, they have 59 sub forums...so yeah, it could be a little cleaned up. I don't even think I've looked at most of the forums there because it's hard to navigate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts