VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens every spring. The snow on the car melts, it drips down the door hinge side, pools up at the bottom and forms a huge ice dam. When I go to open the door, it gets hung up there and has actually bent the metal. Yesterday I took a heat gun to it for about 5 minutes on each side just to be able to chunk the remaining ice outta there and get the doors fully open. Is anyone else having this problem and what's a good solution?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If you pour petrol (gas) over the door and leave (at Least) a half full canister just inside the door. Then carefully light the gas and withdraw yourself quickly. Contact your insurance, claim for the damage and buy a new car. WARNING: make sure that your insurance covers you for fire damage before.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Seriously though, make sure all the draingae holes in your chassis are not blocked (leaves, mud, etc. accumulates). I find I need to clean then out thoroughly at least once a year.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously though, make sure all the draingae holes in your chassis are not blocked (leaves, mud, etc. accumulates). I find I need to clean then out thoroughly at least once a year.
Drainage holes? Tell me more please.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I don't know which model you have, or which door you are referring to. You can see them / it better than I can ;-) But generally next time you clean the car when the weather is good take more time and look really carefully for small drainage holes or end of frames in the wings ,bumpers and bodywork, in cavices and corners around the inside of the bonnet etc. etc. You may need a long vacuum attachment or long piece of wire to poke out all the gunge that accumulates.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know which model you have, or which door you are referring to. You can see them / it better than I can ;-) But generally next time you clean the car when the weather is good take more time and look really carefully for small drainage holes or end of frames in the wings ,bumpers and bodywork, in cavices and corners around the inside of the bonnet etc. etc. You may need a long vacuum attachment or long piece of wire to poke out all the gunge that accumulates.
Yep, got it. MK4 Jetta, front doors. You were right, I was able to push a metal rod through the corner under the hinges and flushed out a bunch of gunk and ice with some hot water. I guess that's an area I'll have to keep an eye on from now on and periodically ream it and flush it before spring melt comes. Thanks for the tip, Peter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in Canada most of the mk4’s at scrap yard have corners of doors bent. Mud accumulates between chassis and inner fender preventing drainage and also rusting out the bottom of the fenders. Suggest removing inner fenders and regularly cleaning out the mud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts