VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post on the forum and i'm looking for some help!

My car started running on limp mode at the weekend so i put it into the garage to get a diagnostics check. it came up with 2 faults, 1 for EGR (which has was blocked off by the previous owner) and 1 for the MAF sensor. I've had the car for 6months and its been running ok so i assume the problem is with the MAF? I told the mechanic about the EGR being blanked off and he said he'd never heard of that which i thought was strange. He also removed a screw and re-connected a pipe (vacuum??) to the EGR which has now made the car a tad lumpy on idle. Should i disconnect the pipe, insert the screw into the end of it and try and clean the MAF?

This is my first turbo diesel and i love it, i'm not too clued up though so any help would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's up to you really, the vacuum pipe disconnected and the screw in the end is called egr delete lol, you'll see it mentioned, it's to help prevent the inlet manifold getting clogged up with gunk. As for the maf it could well be goosed, quite common and does cause low power, does your limp mode go away when you restart the car? Or is it just low on power? Also if you look on top of the timing belt cover there should be an engine code, what is it?:)

welcometomyturbodies fellow seat driver

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's up to you really, the vacuum pipe disconnected and the screw in the end is called egr delete lol, you'll see it mentioned, it's to help prevent the inlet manifold getting clogged up with gunk. As for the maf it could well be goosed, quite common and does cause low power, does your limp mode go away when you restart the car? Or is it just low on power? Also if you look on top of the timing belt cover there should be an engine code, what is it?:)

welcometomyturbodies fellow seat driver
Cheers for the rapid reply mate! (have struggled to get any response on other forums!)

The car is in the garage at the moment getting a couple of tyres fitted so couldnt check the code, being an earlyish Cupra though i think its BPX. Car was a nightmare to drive this morning, bogging down and wanting to stall. I think i may disconnect the pipe and insert the screw as the revs are all over the place on idle which was never a problem until the pipe was reconnected.. The car seems to be ok when you restart it but fairly quickly loses power. I'll try and get the MAF off after work and give it a clean and see if that helps. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I suspect it could be the egr is actually knackered which might be why it was disconnected in the first place and maybe it's that making the car run lumpy but the maf would cause seriously low power, I think your engine's a PD so not so clued up on them but have a look in the faq at the jetta 2004-2005 PD, they're pretty much the same idea but just different power levels.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i reconnected that vacuum hose and put the screw back in and it automatically felt much better. Managed to drive to my parents and it didn't go into limp mode at all. I then cleaned the MAF and drove back to mine...no probs then all of a sudden it went into limp mode! It was weird as it seemed to kinda jump in and out of limp mode at about 1500revs - in a similar way the car takes off when it comes on boost...any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers mate...

I reckon its probably the MAF. I'll change that first as its pretty cheap and report back!

Aye its a nippy wee car, the in-gear acceleration is awesome, 3rd gear especially!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts