VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am Joe. I live in Pahrump, 60miles west of Las Vegas, Nevada. I just joined MY turbo diesel. I have been very impressed with the help and access to information. The manual shift linkage was a life saver; especially because, the engine I just put in was taken out by someone else. I have 3 jetta TDI's. They all have the MIL on. My 2001 is the sickest. It has no power and black soot all over the back of the car.
Codes set are:
17964, Charge pressure control: Negative Deviation P1556-35-10--Intermittent
18057 Power Train Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS controller p1649-35-00
17664-Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62): Open or short to Plusp1256-35-10 Intermittent
16764-Glow plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit malfunction p0380-35-10--Intermittent
16485-Mass air flow sensor (G70): Implausible signal p0101- 35-10--Intermittent
I have VCDS and this is how I retrived the codes. Tests show that the engine is running @72C although the engine fan comes on and goes off; possibly the sender?? The gauge works; reads 190. Mass air flow sensor is bad. the tests show that they are way above400 and they do not keep up with one another; pedal vs sensor. I am kind of lost as far as 17964. The turbo actuates just fine; with applied vacuum, the rod moves freely. When the accelerator pedal is pressed, the car has a dead spot about 1800-2200 RPM and then revs to 4800 and stops there; it does not tach out @5500. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Even though the instrument cluster gauge could be OK, the one going to the ECU could be bad. Check coolant temp engine measuring blocks through VCDS to see 3 temps: one on a totally cold car (all should show ambient), one while warming up, and one while warm.

You mentioned a bad MAF and ruled out a bad actuator and rod, fix that first before worrying about the other codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed out the MAF, and the temp sensor. Car continued to miss and blow out black smoke. I decided to check the intake, pulled off the hose and looked into the intake. It appeared to be some what blocked so I took it off. Well, as you can guess, it was all plugged up; it looked just like your picture on intake cleaning. I cleaned it up and reinstalled. The car runs great!!!!! Thank you for all your help. Your forum is the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
17964, Charge pressure control: Negative Deviation--- here you have vacum leaks from N75 to Vnt actuator
17664-Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62) --- the coolant senzor is defective , you must change it
16764-Glow plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit malfunction p0380-35-10--Intermittent---- did you change or put another dashbord?
16485-Mass air flow sensor (G70): Implausible signal p0101- 35-10--Intermittent--- Maf senzor is defective, you can try to clean it up but the chance too work good is very small

1 - 4 of 4 Posts