VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on yahoo news, this is true hypermiling! It snows in Wisconsin too, so I'm surprised the truck hasn't rusted out from years of salt. He bought the Chevy Silverado used in 1996 with 41,000 miles and got interviewed by Chevy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080212/ap_on_fe_st/odd_million_mile_truck;_ylt=AqVt7AN.XCL6HeL2.Jcjx1YDW7oF

GRESHAM, Wis. - Frank Oresnik's trusty pickup truck — he calls it "the old girl" — passed the 1 million-mile mark with a camera crew filming the event and a public-radio audience listening in. "I can't tell you how much fun it was," he said. "It was really humbling, all this interest

Recent news stories told how Oresnik had just 1,200 miles to go before reaching the milestone in the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado that he bought with 41,000 miles on it in 1996 and used in his business, distributing seafood and steaks in the upper Midwest. At the time, he was getting his latest oil change — the kind of regular maintenance he credits with helping to keep the truck going so long. He said he's had the truck's oil changed more than 300 times. It's had so many changes that the oil pan drain plug had to be rethreaded several times, he said, and "you never hear of that."

He passed the million-mile mark Friday in southeastern Wisconsin while on his way back home to Catawba, located in the north in Price County, about an hour west of Rhinelander. He was on County Highway V southeast of Fond du Lac. On hand was a film crew from Chevrolet's public relations and advertising company, and he was speaking live to Robert Siegel, host of National Public Radio's "All Things Considered." A news crew from CBS had been with him earlier in the day.

"I wont say it was relief ... it was exhilarating," Oresnik said later during a stop in Gresham where he has one of his longtime customers. "This truck has been so dependable over the years." Now that it's made history, the truck could be headed back to the automaker or Shell Oil. Oresnik said there's been some interested in GM or Shell Oil buying it.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
It might not be rusted out. It's a 1991 so they galvanized metal by then. If he washes it constantly it might be in okay shape. I read somewhere that gas engines are typically designed with a life of 200,000 miles. I wonder if he had any kind of engine work done.

That's 79,916 miles avg/year!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Wow, 80,000 miles/year, think of how much fuel he could have saved if he got a diesel :)

Her'es a Chevy truk with 2 million miles

Bought this truck new from Mayville Motor Co in Mayville, N.D. in 1978. I have used it in my construction business since then. This unit has pulled equipment on construction trailers and been a work horse for the past 28 years. The trans. was replaced once, the short block twice and the rear end is still original after 2 million miles. I still use it every day. I have had a long-lasting and rewarding experience with my Chevrolet.

North Dakota
Before 1980 Truck
2,001,000 Miles

J

·
0 Posts
That truck averaged about 71,000 miles/year. It looks like it's all worn out though. The suspension is really sagging and it's rusted. Not bad for a 1978 tho!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
That's weird, the tranny was replaced once and the short block was replaced twice, don't heads normally wear out before the short block? The gears in the rear end must have a lot of play after 2 million miles.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
That's weird, the tranny was replaced once and the short block was replaced twice, don't heads normally wear out before the short block? The gears in the rear end must have a lot of play after 2 million miles.
Evidently not this head.

I agree, the gears get worn, I don't care how well they are lubed, they will get worn. There' s alot of gear backlash in rear ends that get worn, and you can only adjust them so much.

Hopefully he's changed the shocks. As for the bit about changing the oil pan threads, that can easily happen if you habitually overtighen the drain bolt. Heck, if you take the car to Jiffy Lube they'll overtighten the oil filter on the first try!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
But do they give free cars to high milers?

Saab gave free 9-5 cars to people who got over 1,000,000 miles. At least one person got a free car. Unlike VW, they gave a lease to the highest mileage diesel and the oldes diesel. I also remember someone who got 2.5 million miles out of a volvo and found it here:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/06/20/011973.html

He bought the car 40 years ago...and drove all the miles himself!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
VW giving a lease was not a very good deal because they took the owner's cars on tour...I think. Either that or they took pictures, I can't remember. The lease is only temporary too, Sabb gave the car free and clear. The only issue is that you would have to pay taxes on the car, but you'd still be ahead.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Haha, yeah I guess that VW isn't losing a customer if they don't give them a car. The guy already owned the car for 30 years, what's the chance that they are going to buy a new VW anyways!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts