1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Everyone wants a vehicle that gets high mpg, no brainer right. If you look at the "payback time" of these cars for the amount paid. Its not a good return even though they get good mpg. Taxes, insurance, maintenance, cost so if it gets 42 mpg whats it going to cost me 4yrs plus down the road. I'll settle for a car that gets only 25 or 30 mpg if it not going to be in shop every other week !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone wants a vehicle that gets high mpg, no brainer right. If you look at the "payback time" of these cars for the amount paid. Its not a good return even though they get good mpg. Taxes, insurance, maintenance, cost so if it gets 42 mpg whats it going to cost me 4yrs plus down the road. I'll settle for a car that gets only 25 or 30 mpg if it not going to be in shop every other week !
I may be be wrong but are you saying a vw tdi is expensive to upkeep or maintain? I have a 2000 tdi golf with 230000 miles on it and it has never left me on the road. I have replaced timing belts breaks tires, just regular maintenance. I just now had to replace the injector pump and a clutch and flywheel. I also put some new larger injectors in but that was my choice. I still get 45 mpg with lots of power. I think that's darn good for an 11 year old car.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I could not agree with you more im very happy with my 02. I also have larger injectors & chip. I have a friend that has a 96 with 600,000 miles. No need to debate our love for the tdi. What im saying is if you look at the payback time of these high dollar hybrid's, it's not a good return. Everything cant be based on mpg, but if your happy that is what counts. Let me ask this: Will the new tdi's with dmf and hpfp issues give you the reliability of the older tdi's? Again thats debatable to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I will find out,my wife is driving a 2011 golf tdi. It's a nice car but she actually liked the one I am driving now more but she won't trade so what does that tell you:laugh:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I may be be wrong but are you saying a vw tdi is expensive to upkeep or maintain? I have a 2000 tdi golf with 230000 miles on it and it has never left me on the road. I have replaced timing belts breaks tires, just regular maintenance. I just now had to replace the injector pump and a clutch and flywheel. I also put some new larger injectors in but that was my choice. I still get 45 mpg with lots of power. I think that's darn good for an 11 year old car.
Well my 2010 spent six days in the shop being less than six months old with 7500 or so miles on it. If it goes into the shop for more than a day before its warranty runs out it will be replaced and be the last VW I own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts