VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
waiting...

Volkswagen dealerships are reporting strong demand for the brand-new 2009 Jetta and Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Some dealers have even sold out before their first TDI even showed up on the lot, despite the fact that customers won't actually be getting their cars for at least another month or so. The two-thousand dollar premium buyers are asked to pay along with diesel prices, which are hovering in the $4.70 to $5.00 range, have not hampered buyers' hankering for a new fifty-state diesel passenger car. It probably doesn't hurt that VeeDub oil-burners have a reputation for über-reliability, with a number of sales coming from past TDI owners.

In contrast to strong Jetta TDI sales, VW's other recent model, the Tiguan, is not doing as well as hoped. How about adding a diesel engine option to the little crossover? Apparently, dealers are asking and they may get what they want. After all, the Tiguan's engine bay readily accepts the TDI engine from the Jetta since the two vehicles share a similar Golf-based platform. Our affection for the oddly-named mini-ute would surely increase exponentially if it were granted the turbo-diesel.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/07/14/many-dealers-report-selling-out-of-jetta-tdi-tiguan-tdi-possibl/

·
Registered
298 Posts
I saw this posted elsewhere, auto dealers are like supermarkets selling bread, they have no idea about the product. The salesmen are usually clueless, liars at worst, and after they make the sale most dealers don't care.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It probably doesn't hurt that VeeDub oil-burners have a reputation for über-reliability, with a number of sales coming from past TDI owners.
???:laugh:

IMO, VWs have lower reliability than the Japanese brands and bad dealer service. Half of the issue is how Toyota/honda will cover up issues with good dealer service. I think the new Jetta went up to only average reliability with the new generation.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully fuel prices won't get too much higher since the economy advantage isn't as great anymore. If you just need basic transportation for one, a civic or yaris would get the job done.

J

·
0 Posts
Hopefully fuel prices won't get too much higher since the economy advantage isn't as great anymore. If you just need basic transportation for one, a civic or yaris would get the job done.
This argument always bugs me, a jetta isn't a civic any more than a civic is an accord. Different class cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never pay a markup /story
I thought about this and really, it's just supply/demand. If you want the added value of being the first on the block, gotta pay up! Do you think Ferraris sell at MSRP? Even still, if you look at past TDI, the sportwagon will be not as available and will bring a higher resale.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I thought about this and really, it's just supply/demand. If you want the added value of being the first on the block, gotta pay up! Do you think Ferraris sell at MSRP? Even still, if you look at past TDI, the sportwagon will be not as available and will bring a higher resale.
Hi I'm new at this site, and I own a 06 jetta tdi, with auto transmission, I would not trade it for any gas comparable car... NO COMPARISON!! This car is rated Per sticker 35 mpg city and 42 mpg hwy.
I been getting on the average city and highway in S. California about 38 mpg.
In city alone and driving it aggressive about 33 mpg.
I'm extremely HAPPY with it.
I think the new one is rated at 40 mpg in hwy (please correct me if I'm wrong)
:panic:

·
Registered
137 Posts
2nd. A toyota is an appliance, a TDI is a car!

A prius is not a jetta TDI any more than a ford explorer is a jetta sportwagon. It is a little more expensive than the gasser but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
FYI, they are diverting a lot of the allocations away from the US because of the weak dollar. It's more profitable to sell these cars overseas so that's where they're going.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Someone else pointed this out and someinfo I knew:

The Jetta went on sale worldwide in 2005.5 starting with the US.

The Jetta sportwagen has been on sale for 2 years already.

This engine is on the 2nd year. Similar engines used a DOHC with dual camshaft sprockets on the belt, this engine uses DOHC with a single camshaft driven by the belt, the other cam is driven by gear. In addition, most of the earlier 2.0L engines were pumpe duse.

The next generation jetta may come up model year 2011, next year. The US probably won't get it for a while though. The current golf was on sale in 2003 in Europe, it didn't come to the US until the 2007 model year. That's why it appears to have been revised after such a short run, it's actually a ...well tested form. and it's too expensive to build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts