VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone!

What an incredible website for the TDI owner!

I'm considering the purchase of a new (2011) Jetta Sportswagen TDI as replacement for my lovely but less trustworthy 2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG. Likely purchase will be this summer when the A3 CPO warranty expires.

This website has answered many of my questions, but one that remains open is:

How significant or widespread are the HPFP failures I've seen described elsewhere? I saw a mention in the article about changing the fuel filter, but nothing else. I understand the significance of never putting gas in the tank, changing the fuel filter, using proper 507.00-approved oil, etc. Guess I'm particularly sensitive since the HPFP on the 2.0T FSI engine is one of its weak points.

Is there any recent news about this issue and the root cause(s)? Any preventive measures that will help?

Looking forward to a long relationship around here, and hope that I can eventually make some useful contributions.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Root cause? Fuel quality that isn't up to what the designers thought and a weak design. The pump has gone through a few revisions but nobody seems to know exactly what was changed. You could use some lubricity additive and that seems to be the best BET. But there are many thousands of cars that are fine, but if it goes, it certainly makes an impression (on your wallet if it's not covered by the warranty).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts