VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,
Just got a message I should've posted here first so I wouldn't get an answer and then skedaddle. Didn't need an answer. Just wanted to add to them.

Anyway, thanks for the help and good advice. Been dealing with (and cussin' out) German engineering all my life, owned something like 40 VW's, a few Audi's and some Dodges with VW engines. I like it when I can get over 300,000 on a vehicle without major repairs. (I've got 385 on my Powerstroke but that's another forum.) Did it on my last Diesel Jetta and, if my boy doesn't sell it, I'll do it on this one too.

I'm a good mechanic and know just enough to be very dangerous. But I'm willing to try anything ... when it doesn't work, I'm willing to destroy anything. I can usually get the German stuff going, got two Jettas in the garage right now.

Biggest pet peeve currently is my Wife's Jag. I hate working on that thing!

Just solved my latest problem; rough, shaky idle on the diesel Jetta, now it's running like a top (although, I'm not sure how well a top is supposed to run).

Lot's of good advice, insight and experience here. I know I'll be able to contribute a lot in the "what not to do" category.

So, a big Howdy from out here in Utah.

The Scipio Kid

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

Thanks for the intro after being prompted. ;)

Mods: Broken Bumper. Have you repaired or modified the broken bumper?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my boy's wife did the original mod. As many owners are aware, the front air dam on the Jetta sits notoriously low, prompting at least one recall / rebate offer as I recall. Due to it's proximity to the ground, it isn't uncommon for the car to, from time to time, become entangled with the concrete abutments, many fast food chains employ to keep cars away from their walls and windows. Such was the case with my Son's beautiful, rose red TDI one fateful day. The entanglement really didn't cause the modification, the un-entanglement however, did. Funny how bumpers like to grab onto things and not let go as you back up. At any rate, the incident basically ripped the bumper in half from driver to passenger side and left most of the wreckage dragging. The real mod came by way of bailing wire and a few well-placed sheet metal screws turning useless wreckage once again into viable bumper material (with all the extra pieces being stowed in the trunk). The real 'custom' part of the mod came with the employment of red Duck Tape from Wal Mart, which fortuitously matched the original paint almost perfectly. We'd already had some experience with this technique when my younger son tangled with a Deer, resulting in similar damage to my white Jetta and similar mods, a la white Wal Mart Duck Tape (we later bought a wrecked twin to the white one to get the needed bumper, hood and RF fender for proper repairs, but the Duck Tape did it's job in the short run. We just missed getting a perfectly matched, red donor for my son's TDI by about an hour, so we're still in the market and the red Duck tape is still in use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another bubblegum & bailing wire fix we've employed on many a Jetta involves not Duck, or duct tape but Scotch 33 electrical tape. If your left and right mirrors have had encounters with garage door frames, yellow or red pilasters (bollards) or even kids playing football in the street, as ours have, and the bend-back mechanism failed to work (so your mirror was left loose and / or floppy), a quick and careful wrap of the entire pivot area with Scotch 33, while keeping the tape taught, flat and wrinkle free, will restore the mirror to perfect working order and the appearance to near perfect. You'll end up with a 2" strip of black that accents the overall appearance of your vehicle rather than making it look like a taped together junker. While Scotch also makes this product in multiple colors, we've always used only the black which contrasts any color of Jetta perfectly. (It also works on the Passat, the New Bug and quite possibly many other models and makes of vehicles. Our experience is limited to VW's however.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts