VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am new to this forum and just got a 2003 MK IV Jetta TDI and am excited about it! Because I do not know when the timing belt was changed, I am currently changing the timing belt. I purchased a timing belt kit from blauparts.com which included a crankshaft seal. I was interested in opinions on the necesity of changing this seal and any added benifits. I have the timing belt off and can say with certanty that the seal is currently not leaking. I will be changing the idlers and water pump. This is my first timing belt job and the instructions on this site are very helpful. I feel confident in my wrenching skills if that is an issue with the seal job (work as a marine engineer on large diesels). Any help would be appreciated. I am sure car info is wanted. It has 195,000 miles. I hope for 300,000 mi, but like the challenge. I am also changing the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter. Any thoughts on further additions at this "new" buy fitout? I am trying amsoil CJ4 5W 40 (a friend talked me into it), any input on that would be great as well. One last question, I bought an e-bay cable which seems to work with VCDS-lite, any way to know it works for certain before registering? I know I have rambled but look foward to some help from good people.

Bryce,
Pasadena, Tx

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I've never used the ebay vag com. If you're just doing a timing belt and just want to check the timing, I believe the shareware version works. This is just what I've heard secondhand. Any reports would be helpful.

IMHO, if the camshaft seal is not leaking leave it alone. But since you already have the seal and already have good wrenching skill, it's not too much work to replace it. If you decide to replace the seal later you have to do the entire timing belt over except you don't have to remove the motor mount because you're not removing the belt completely from the engine - you're just removing it temporarily.

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bryce.
I am new to this forum and just got a 2003 MK IV Jetta TDI and am excited about it! Because I do not know when the timing belt was changed, I am currently changing the timing belt.
Well I can give you a list of the instructions, Replacement Intervals, Important Notes, Check for Engine damage, Repair times, Special tools, Special precautions, removal and installation of the timing belt as published by AutoData which we use at work but I also have the online version.

The vehicles shown are only Jetta (83-92) which only shows 1.6D and Jetta (05-) which shows 1.6D TDI CR, 1.9D TDI PD, 1.9D TDI PD BlueMotion, 2.0D TDI CR and 2.0D TDI PD.

Do you know which one suits your engine as 2003 isn't listed? Do you know the engine code or which BHP? ;)

P.S. I can give you the link to VOSA Recalls

1 - 4 of 4 Posts