VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I posted the files on VWVortex about a month and a half ago. A few people were having issues getting it to work. Make sure you burn the file at the slowest speed, use an ISO program or disk utility for Mac, and don't power the unit on. Insert the cd and as soon as the power comes on press the top two right buttons and the guide button simultaneously and hold them for about 3 seconds. The unit will restart using the cd to boot and load the file. You can also upgrade the firmware to 1140.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KYSUZCLL

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Caution about the firmware: there were different versions of firmware depending on which version you have. IMHO, if there's nothing wrong with your unit and it's out of warranty, do not flash the firmware because there's a very small chance of bricking the unit. don't fix until broken.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Didn't work with my RNS510 fw v3810

Tried it on my RNS510 with firmware v3810 and it reported that the CD contained an earlier version of the sw, and that I would need to downgrade to allow the VIM tweak to work. :(

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Just wanted to post that the VIM hack using the "VIM_Berto89.iso" worked fine for me.

Details...all done from my 5 year old MacBook running 10.5.8.

• Download the zip file "RECODE VIM Berto89.zip" from http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/US_RNS-510_Video_In_Motion
  • Find the downloaded "RECODE VIM Berto89.zip" zip file on your computer and double click on it. It expands to a folder containing "VIM_Berto89.iso" and "RECODE_Berto89.iso" files.
  • Insert a blank CD-R disc in the disc drive. I used a TDK 52x CD-R. (You can insert the disc later when asked.)
  • Start the Mac's "Disk Utility" application which should be in the Applications/Utilities folder.
  • Click on the Disk Utility Burn selection along the top of the Disk Utility window. (If the Burn selection is greyed out, you can click "Open Disk Image..." in the "File" menu. In my old MacBook running version 11.1 of Disk Utility, the Burn selection was not greyed out, but I see in a brand new MacBook Air with version 12 of Disk Utility that it is necessary to use the "Open Disk Image..." selection to choose a file before the Burn selection will not be greyed out.)
  • Find and select "VIM_Berto89.iso" in the window that opens. (Insert a blank disc now if you haven't done so already.)
  • Select the slowest burn speed available. My Mac would go as slow as 8x.
  • Burn the disc.
  • Take disc to car.
  • Get in car.
  • Don't turn on ignition.
  • Press RNS510 power button to turn it on without the car's ignition on.
  • Insert disc.
  • Wait.
  • After several warnings, logo screens, blank screens, progress screens, etc., a "Software Loading" screen popped up asking if it was OK to proceed. I touched OK.
  • More screens, blanks, progress screens, etc.
  • The RNS510 eventually shows a screen indicating the update was successful, pops the disc out, and restarts. This all took less than 2 minutes.
  • Done.
VIM works now on my RNS-510 which I installed in my 2010 Jetta sedan SE gasser.

I have a RNS510 "3C0 035 684 C" version with Hardware H04 and Firmware version 1000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any luck or recommendations for a 2012 CC? It looks like there has been issues with the 2012 RNS-510 hacks on other models, just wondering if it's something to do with the 2012 firmware versions.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
This worked on my 3C8-035-684E RNS510 (HW:H61, SW:3680). It failed on the first attempt displaying the downgrade error. I then inserted the disc with the unit completely off and it ran through the process fine. Hope this helps.

I used deepburner free (http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download) at the lowest speed on a CD-R.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
2012 Passat TDI SEL

When I insert the crack, the system comes up with a VW window and says "Downgrade Error Target loaded with Media Version -4934304 Insert Media Version -4934304" Then I tried the 3 button reset and it took the update and finished with SWL Success. However, it still cuts off at 5 mph. Is there a more current release of the crack based on 4934304?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Thank you for the with VIM Berto89 file. I have been waiting to get enough curage to try this on my car. Yesterday evening i burned the file to a CD-r with the free ISO burner. I put it into the car and after 5 minutes (i had to press ok on the screen one time) it was ready. And it worked!!! So easy! Many big thanks! No i finally will get some use of the TV and Video in the car.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I try this on my European Passat 2009 but script doesn't works :(. To be precise, I get message that script has been loaded successfully but VIM not worked

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Figured it out

Had been using a DVD -R to try install this crack...many attempts with no success. Found an old CD -R and reburned the iso. Worked like on charm on my 2012 Passat TDI SEL. Thanks for the crack.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I've gone through six blank cd-r with no luck on a 2012 Passat TDI SEL. I even tried downloading and using the free iso burner with no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
works great!

I was nervous about crashing my firmware, but it's working smoothly as expected. Did not need to use the 3 button reset combination. I have a 2010 TDI Jetta Sportwagen and a toddler that is so much happier now. Thanks all!

Gary

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Hi there, were you able to view the contents of your disk through some type of File browser? You should be able to see a directory called WA and 5 human readable text files in the root directory.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Problems when speedo shows kilometers?

Hi, The software confirmed that installed with success. However, it had no effect on the VIM setting.
I drive a european car with a speedometer showing kilometers. Do I need another hack? Does anyone know where to find it or if there is something else that I need to tweek?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Works for km too

Now it works. Embarassed to admit that I was using the wrong disk.
Seems to be quite sensitive to which CD burner you use. I ended up with Roxio.
After installing the hack, I updated the firmware to version 4020. This went OK, you need to be patient, it takes one hour. I left my car running just to be sure the RNS would not turn of in the middle of updating. The hack still works.
Thank you!

21 - 40 of 141 Posts