VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!

i have a 2000 golf tdi, i suspect the starter to draw too much amps when starting. i explain: i bought the car 3 weeks ago, a morning the car doesn't want to start.. want to start but the light in the cluster blink and makes a "cliking" noise in the cluster and the starter begin to start.. so i replaced the battery because i was thinking that the battery was old and low.. so the same thing happend with the new battery.. so i'm thinking that the starter begin to be old and draw too much amperes when starting so it makes the cluster to flash and click...

mabye i can take the amperage when starting? but in which range it should be?

what to you think? should i remove the starter and bring it to a repair shop to rebuild it?

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: after this post i went to my garage and took the aperage of starter main wire while starting, i don't have the "peak" option on my multimeter but i got reading of 350A, 330A, 285A, of the 3 start that i made.. i also have a 2005 Jetta tdi with BEW engine, reading was 260A, 235A, 210A. i also took the voltage of the battery it was 11V, with the car not running and 13V with the car running.. i know that it should be 14.4 when running.. can the alternator be the problem?

thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
Well I don't know what multimeter you are using but they won't measure that much DC amps you need a clamp meter. I can't tell you what the spec should be for that model but if you've checked that with a Jetta and its 30% less then either the Jetta is lacking compression or there is something a miss with the Golf.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts