VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi all... I wonder if someone can provide me with a little insight. So my car (golf 4 tdi ahf) stock except for down pipe. Runs perfectly well starts up good but when I check the timing with vcds it shows as retarded, below the acceptable range. I tried using vcds to get it in spec but it hardly changes it. I then tried to do the hammer mod and when I knock it slightly to the right (passenger side) the idle becomes very rough, too much to the right and it revs up. Too much to the left (drivers side) and it stutters, but the graph itself shows no change. My question is if I leave it retarded as it has been running all along are there any issues?

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi all... I wonder if someone can provide me with a little insight. So my car (golf 4 tdi ahf) stock except for down pipe. Runs perfectly well starts up good but when I check the timing with vcds it shows as retarded, below the acceptable range. I tried using vcds to get it in spec but it hardly changes it. I then tried to do the hammer mod and when I knock it slightly to the right (passenger side) the idle becomes very rough, too much to the right and it revs up. Too much to the left (drivers side) and it stutters, but the graph itself shows no change. My question is if I leave it retarded as it has been running all along are there any issues?
Okay so I'm an idiot, I now realize that the hammer mod only adjusts IQ and doesn't affect timing at all, saw a video on youtube on how to adjust timing, doesn't appear complicated by any means, so I'll get on that. :)

· Registered
20 Posts
Okay so I'm an idiot, I now realize that the hammer mod only adjusts IQ and doesn't affect timing at all, saw a video on youtube on how to adjust timing, doesn't appear complicated by any means, so I'll get on that. :)
Okay if anyone is interested, I set my timing to slightly advanced (mechanically) and then reset my IQ to 2.5, previously I had it as low as possible just over 1.2 ish, It was running better with the lower IQ (felt perceivably faster/quicker response). So I will set it down again I think. Anyone have any possible negatives of a lower IQ besides shutdown shudder which I don't notice at all with a low IQ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.