VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1.9 TDI golf 59 plate, engine suddenly cut out having been running perfectly. Looks like the aux belt ripped itself a part and some bits of it wrapped around the crank pulley, lifted the timing belt and so engine is way out of time. When crank shaft line is TDC the camshaft pulley is about 90 degrees behind. Crank shaft does turn pretty well though. How do I get the camshaft back in time along with the high pressure pump? Can I just take the belt off and turn them into position?
I know there’s probably some valve or piston damage to check for too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you do not want cylinders close to tdc as it is too close .. here is what i would do ..

remove belt completely.. move cylinders back off tdc about 15-20 degrees ( then all cylinders should be away from the valves . bring cam to tdc slowly feeling for contact, once there bring piston back up to tdc. put on belt, time accordingly , rotate crank twice manually to check for interference. if all clear then put on battery charger and do compression check ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Was driving on the highway when serpentine belt broke and wrapped itself around the pulley putting the car out of time. Unfortunately in my case valves were bent and I had to replace the head. Changed timing belt as well while I was at it since it may have been stretched.

Been running fine after that. It's been 2 years

1 - 3 of 3 Posts