VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This shows how to remove the instrument cluster, dim the high beam indicator LED, and move the speedometer needle.

Unless you're in the city, it's better to have low instrument cluster lights to preserve night vision sensitivity. Unfortunately, when you use the high beams, the high beam LED turns on and it's super bright and pointed at you. I removed the gauge faces on the 2006 VW Jetta TDI and dimmed it by using a marker. Interestingly enough, the gauge face had spots for a convertible top and DPF even though my car wasn't equipped with any such devices.

I also turned the speedometer needle slightly to make it more accurate at highway speeds.

Teaser pic and the full writeup. It's shown on a mk5 Jetta but I see no reason why it also won't work on the mk6 Jetta and Golf.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/instrument-cluster-removal-jetta-golf.htm

Note that most of the lights in the picture aren't on while driving so really it just lowered the high beam indicator to the same brightness as the rest of the cluster.

·
Super Moderator
9,144 Posts
Whats the CEL light in the link, the US version of the MIL light? ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about using some limo tint? Your writeup says to use clear tint. If it's clear it won't block any light. Nice idea. There's also the DRL light.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just wiggle it off gently. There are no clips. That's why I suggest moving it left-right to the stops before removal to figure out how it sits so that it goes back the same way. Note added.

I also added this note:
Note how bright the high beam indicator is in relation to the tachometer numbers and dashes in the pictures without flash. All the pictures are shown with headlights on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts