VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not satisfied with the AC, it seems like other cars can get very frosty, it works but should I recharge?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Don't recharge it, these cars need to be taken to a pro for a charge or you have to completely drain and refill it, which is also best done at a pro.

I think these cars just have average AC.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
You should use the AC during the winter so that the o-rings don't get dried out and leak the freon. Using the AC for 5 minutes once a week will keep them moist. If you never use the AC they get dried out and leak a little. When you use the AC it causes it them to swell and it can fix a tiny leak. I think after the 4th gen cars they changed coolants and it was never as cold.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I would leave it be. Generally, AC is coldest when brand new and when it's about to die. VWs just tend to have OK ac.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Why can;t I just use the cans of freon at autozone?
Someone asked this a while ago, you don't know how much is in the system. It's best to drain and refill it completely under a vacuum, this is equipment that a pro has. They do it all the time and it should be easy for a pro but difficult for a DIY due to the equipment involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should use the AC during the winter so that the o-rings don't get dried out and leak the freon. Using the AC for 5 minutes once a week will keep them moist. If you never use the AC they get dried out and leak a little. When you use the AC it causes it them to swell and it can fix a tiny leak. I think after the 4th gen cars they changed coolants and it was never as cold.
May I add that when you run the defroster cycle to clear windows you are also running the ac to remove moisture from the inside air. using this function regularly in winter time will be sufecient activity to keep seals lubed. Thanks Eric AKA cadman1940

1 - 7 of 7 Posts