VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI !!
Just looking the forum for my someone else because
he dont know notting about computer and looking for info for his jetta 2002 tdi how to put the cam shaft
at tdc for the the rest crank and fuild pump he know where to put the pin but for the cam shaft the book he have doesn`t show that about the cam shaft someone can give me a tread were they show the camshaft at tdc I apreciate.

Tanks advance

sdt790:bowdown

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, as long as the engine is at TDC you just install the camshaft with #1 lobes up like a V. Pictures are in the timing belt writeup.
welcometomyturbodies

Also edited title and moved post to be more specific.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just recently had to replace my ALH cam and lifters.

It's best to follow the Bentley manual, but here a SOME things to note:

When removing bearing caps keep them in order. They are not interchangeable.
When installing be sure to note offset of bearings.
Lubricate bearing camshaft surfaces with oil or assembly lube.
Install camshaft.
Tighten bearing caps 2 and 4 alternately and diagonally to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.) .
Lightly coat contact face of bearing cap 1 with sealer such as AMV 174 004 01. .
Install bearing caps 3, 1 and 5 and also tighten to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.) .
Lightly tap bearing cap 5 to fit camshaft.
Install camshaft sprocket together with toothed belt and position with bolt (camshaft must still turn).

·
Registered
1 Posts
so i did everything on the writeup but HELP!! please

so i had the timing belt break on my 00 jetta tdi, when i pulled the valve cover off i saw that the lifters were damaged as well as the cam lobes were mushroomed. so i pulled the head off and checked the block pistons, and everything on the bottom end checked out ok after installing a new head with a head gasket from vw, and setting everything to tdc, i cant spin the motor by hand...!! i used the proper cam holding tool to set the cam to tdc and used the locking tool hold the injector pump and i also torqued the cam gear on and rechecked that everything was on tdc before attempting to spin the motor. i am puzzled at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
-mike
and the bottom end spun freely with the head off

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Remove the glow plugs just to make sure there's no compression, it should be very easy to spin.

Cam should be installed with #1 lobes pointing up like a V. #1 piston should be at TDC. You can also install it so that the pistons are lower. The crank spins twice for every 1 cam rotation so are you sure the #1 piston was at TDC?

Is the transmission in gear :D?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts