VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an autodim/compass mirror in their car? I searched but couldn't come up with anything on the forum. Our Subaru outback had an OEM autodim mirror with a compass (often these come with homelink door openers too but no garage = no care). I know you can get these aftermarket and I installed one on my 92x as such. It wasn't hard, it was actually prewired for it so it was pretty much plug in, bolt on and go.

Are the TDIs prewired? Anyone have one that they installed? Any help would be appreciated. I found a few things with google but no walkthrough of an install.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tried auto dimming in a rental car and didn't like it. It had a blueish color to the mirror and the contrast in daytime didn't seem as bright. Maybe they're better now but I'm glad mine has a regular one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I found out that the '11 Golf TDI that I ordered would come with a rearview mirror that has an actual mechanical switch for day/night, I nearly kissed the sales person! I've had several cars now that have had auto-day/night mirrors, and not one of them has ever really worked correctly. The one in my '04 R32 wouldn't work at all until I finally realized that the center headrest on the rear seatback was throwing a shadow over the sensor that is located on the mirror's bottom edge. Once I removed that headrest, the mirror was finally free to malfunction like all the others that I've owned. Amazingly, I've never had a single problem with a mirror that I switched myself...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I found out from quailallstar that the late model Audi A4 mirror WITHOUT the rain sensor can also be used. They come with a built in compass but no homelink. If you can find one from a junkyard for cheap it's a good alternative. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-99-07-A4-S4-A6-S6-AUTO-DIM-REAR-MIRROR-COMPASS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae14d81adQQitemZ390327009709QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Here's a link to a current auction for this part. Does anyone want to buy this and try it? If you do, please take clear pictures. Here are pics of the part.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
I just got one of these mirrors with homelink (Gentex) but am a little stuck in how to test for which wire is the switched one I think was mentioned for sunroof model?. I saw "possible" alternate color wires mentioned too but I have a 2011 TDI Golf that when I look at the wires, there are five in a row in a blue connector. Could you explain to me please how to test for which line is the one I'm looking for to switched maplights?
Thanks-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts