VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a diesel, maybe a 2005 or something, and to import it into Canada. I have a friendin Germany who can buy it for me and put it on a boat. Then I pick it up in Canada.

Has anyone done this? I have read that it is very difficult to import into the US and not Canada. However, I want to import into Canada.

thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
As long as it's older than 15 years old you can import it. Your 2005 is a no go. However, your location says Earth so you should have no problem finding a car there. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-other-than-index-446.htm

"Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971."

·
Registered
85 Posts
As long as it's older than 15 years old you can import it. Your 2005 is a no go. However, your location says Earth so you should have no problem finding a car there. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-other-than-index-446.htm

"Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971."
That seems like a pretty straight answer..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about this?

Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained, which may be subject to verification at the time of importation. A vehicle imported under these conditions will be subject to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program which may be accessed at the following web site: http://www.riv.ca.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
The key is getting the manufacturer to affix the necessary label; and they usually decline to do so.

Be happy with Canada's 15 yr rule. In the US it's 25 yrs.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
You can custom order a new car in Germany built to US/Canadian specs. Military personnel do it all the time.
And these cars are the same ones available at the dealership in the U.S. The only difference is the tax break the military/government employees receive due to being stationed OCONUS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts